You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To speed up workflow, I'd like to request a color behavior change when selecting masks. When selecting a mask, please change foreground/background colors to Black and White. When selecting back onto a pixel or image layer, revert to selected colors. This is a Photoshop behavior I miss very much and I didn't realize how much I missed it as I've spent a LOT of time trying to figure out why my mask wasn't working only to realize I was painting on the mask with a color rather than black/grey/white. 

Also

Thanks for your consideration

25 minutes ago, Phojoegraphy said:

To speed up workflow, I'd like to request a color behavior change when selecting masks. When selecting a mask, please change foreground/background colors to Black and White. When selecting back onto a pixel or image layer, revert to selected colors. This is a Photoshop behavior I miss very much and I didn't realize how much I missed it as I've spent a LOT of time trying to figure out why my mask wasn't working only to realize I was painting on the mask with a color rather than black/grey/white. 

Agreed. It is a real smooth workflow killer. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

18 minutes ago, Phojoegraphy said:

Two fast-to-use shortcuts in Photoshop I have used ... a gazillion times are D for set fill and line to black and white and X to swap them.

They are supposed to work exactly like that in Photo as well, but D does nothing here. X does swap fill and line color though. I think I once assigned control + shift + x to set them to black and white... so I found a way back then. But I don't use Photo much. I don't recall exactly. I don't think it is a standard shortcut.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Jowday...  Set it here:

709807089_BlackWhiteShortcut.jpg.053c6af69fd5e3ec313a986b0366a04c.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

The problem with doing a color reset is if you had selected colors there before, they're gone. It's a work around. In Photoshop if you click a mask you get black and white. When you click back onto a pixel layer you get whatever colors you had previously. It's a very small but efficient thing that helps keep work flowing. 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, smadell said:

Jowday...  Set it here:

709807089_BlackWhiteShortcut.jpg.053c6af69fd5e3ec313a986b0366a04c.jpg

Thank you - done!

D as a shortcut for this is mentioned in the help file, so the shortcut has been lost in the default values in the release versions of Photo at some point. I hope Serif will restore it.

Jowday...   I don't think that the "D" shortcut was ever the default. Although "X" would always toggle the Fill colors, I've always had to insert the "D" shortcut myself.

Also, once you've personalized your shortcuts with whatever extras you might like (for instance, you might have noticed that I entered my own shortcut for "Set Fill to 50% Gray"), click the "Save" button at top right to create an external file with all of your shortcuts. That way, if you ever have to "Reset" the application, or if a future update somehow gets rid of all your personalized stuff (they've done this at least once before) you can then click the "Load" button and retrieve all your shortcuts. You can also use the Save and Load buttons to move personalized shortcuts between the retail and beta versions to keep them in sync!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

21 hours ago, smadell said:

Jowday...   I don't think that the "D" shortcut was ever the default. Although "X" would always toggle the Fill colors, I've always had to insert the "D" shortcut myself.

Also, once you've personalized your shortcuts with whatever extras you might like (for instance, you might have noticed that I entered my own shortcut for "Set Fill to 50% Gray"), click the "Save" button at top right to create an external file with all of your shortcuts. That way, if you ever have to "Reset" the application, or if a future update somehow gets rid of all your personalized stuff (they've done this at least once before) you can then click the "Load" button and retrieve all your shortcuts. You can also use the Save and Load buttons to move personalized shortcuts between the retail and beta versions to keep them in sync!

Thank you for the tip and time @smadell 🙂

Then Serif have some catching up to do, the F1 help says:

image.png.3ae23c528feee73884ccdb38e51b355c.png

So, turns out I was wrong about that. I saved my shortcuts and then hit the "Clear All Shortcuts" button, and then the "Reset" button. This, I assume, brought me back to the default shortcuts pre-packaged with Affinity Photo. Lo and behold, the "D" shortcut for "Set Fill to Black and White" was there. So somewhere along the line, I must have gotten rid of it and subsequently thought it was never there in the first place. I was incorrect – the "D" shortcut is the default choice.

2 hours ago, smadell said:

So, turns out I was wrong about that. I saved my shortcuts and then hit the "Clear All Shortcuts" button, and then the "Reset" button. This, I assume, brought me back to the default shortcuts pre-packaged with Affinity Photo. Lo and behold, the "D" shortcut for "Set Fill to Black and White" was there. So somewhere along the line, I must have gotten rid of it and subsequently thought it was never there in the first place. I was incorrect – the "D" shortcut is the default choice.

I never removed it - never really configured shortcuts in Photo as I rarely use it - and I certainly didn't alter it in both release and beta version. It must have been overridden somehow by an update or bug.

Same experience on another computer where I installed Photo - but never used it. No D.

Take care!  

It is possible that the shortcut was added in a more recent version of the program and that you had customized some other keyboard shortcut which prevented the newly added one from being picked up when you upgraded the program.