You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

English Australia Spell Checker

9 minutes ago, KevinG said:

Is there an Australian dictionary as when I change my windows language to English UK my keyboard remaps so " is @

You shouldn't need to change your Windows language.

You could simply change your Publisher UI language to English (UK), and leave your Windows system language alone. That's a setting on the General page of the Publisher Preferences.

But if you really want to spellcheck in Australian English, you will find en_AU.aff and en_AU.dic files at https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/en. They do not have an en_AU hyphenation dictionary, though. I suppose you might be able to copy and rename the en_GB hyphenation dictionary.

For instructions on installing the dictionaries: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98911-faq-how-do-i-add-additional-dictionaries-to-affinity-publisher/&tab=comments#comment-529440

If you do install them, then in order to spellcheck and hyphenate in Australian English you'll need to set the language properly in several places in the Character and Paragraph panel, or in the Base text style.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, KevinG said:

Sorry, I am happy with UK spelling, but as soon as I changed to keyboard back to Australia(US) to fix  @" error spelling stops working.

As you're on Windows the keyboard setting (in Windows) shouldn't matter for Spelling purposes, as far as I know.

Spelling in Publisher on Windows is controlled by a combination of the Publisher User Interface language from the General Preferences (which sets the default), then the spelling and hyphenation language settings in the Character and Paragraph studio panels, or the Paragraph/Character Text Styles.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Changes to UK English in character panel but changes back to unknown (en-AU) as soon as I click off character box

Found out that you have to have text box selected for spelling option in character to show correct spelling checker.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, KevinG said:

Changes to UK English in character panel but changes back to unknown (en-AU) as soon as I click off character box

Found out that you have to have text box selected for spelling option in character to show correct spelling checker.

Also for multi page document, set spell check setting for one page does not low through to next page with linked text boxes (1.8.3)

9 hours ago, KevinG said:

Also for multi page document, set spell check setting for one page does not low through to next page with linked text boxes (1.8.3)

It should, but remember that each word can have a different spelling language, so you should start out with the correct language specified. The language can be, in a way, an aspect of a text frame, but it really applies to the text you're about to type, or to any text you may have selected.

If you set a language, and then start typing, all the text you type is assumed to be in that language. If you overflow into a new frame it will still be that language.

However, if you type all your text, and then set a spelling language, it will not apply to text you already typed. You would need to select the text, and change its language. And the change would affect only the text you selected.

So, I think we would need more information about your exact scenario and workflow to know whether the program worked incorrectly, or not.

Edit: In the above I have also ignored the effects of Text Styles, which also interact with settings you may have made directly in the Character studio panel. So knowing the exact workflow is even more important. And having a sample document may help, along with the workflow :)

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks that all makes sense, the problem was with my work flow in this case, you have a fantastic set of programs here. Will go through and set text language to UK in each style I use

Thanks again

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: