You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Only grey haze when edit images via Publisher

i just started with Publisher and Photo and downloaded both the trail versions. For me the most interesting part is the possibility to directly edit the images in a Publisher document. I think I am doing something wrong but I cannot figure out whtat that is. i could not find it somewhere.

As described in the topic title I only get a grey haze over the images when I edit an image in Photo directly from Publisher. This is very clear when I use shadow/highlights layers although I tried to place the adjustment layer on different levels. It seems to happen with both JPG or RAW files dragged in Publisher. When the same images are openend directly in Photo itself it works fine, both in the RAW editor and photo editing.

What am I doing wrong?

I created two screenshots of what happens. In both cases I dragged the .ARW (Sony raw file) into the program and set the shadows to 62%. Hopefuly this makes it more clearer to what I refer to in the previous post. So what is going on.

photo.png

Publisher.png

I always use File / Place to add images to an AfPub document, and this works fine - .  I've just tried dragging RAW files into AfPub, and using File / Open on the same files - in both cases the images look the same, but they're very different from the (correct) placed image.  My images appear overexposed rather than gray and hazy, but something's not as you'd expect it!  Another difference is that jpegs are fine - it's only the RAW files that give odd results.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Thanks for the screenshots.

The problem may be because you're Placing RAW images. The Affinity applications contain special processing (Develop, and the Develop Assistant) for Opening a RAW image file, and recently the Photo application improved that processing so it occurs when using RAW files in batch jobs.

But it appears that Placing a RAW file does not (yet?) have that improvement. Placing a RAW image in any of the applications (Publisher, Photo, Designer) results in a dark image for me, much as using them in batch jobs in Photo used to do.

Someone from Serif will need to comment on whether the improvements made in 1.8 were meant to cover Placing RAW images, or not.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The problem may be because you're Placing RAW images.

I've taken the opposite view - think the problem is because they're not being placed.  But then I'm seeing different results with jpegs 🤔.

3 minutes ago, IanSG said:

I've taken the opposite view - think the problem is because they're not being placed.  But then I'm seeing different results with jpegs 🤔.

The image is in a picture frame in the Publisher screenshot, and page margins are visible. So it wasn't Opened, which was my point :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

55 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The image is in a picture frame in the Publisher screenshot, and page margins are visible. So it wasn't Opened, which was my point :)

Ah, good point - and good spot!  I was dragging the image intoAfPub as a new document in its own right.

I was quite sure that JPG has the same problem, so I tested it again. Same image exported with Lightroom to JPG and dragged it into a frame in Pubisher. Agian shadows at 62% (do not ask me why 62 ;-)) again a grey haze.

What is correct way to open an image from Publisher in Photo? What must be selected, the image, the frame? Can it be something like that.

Publisher_JPG.png

12 minutes ago, mmmmmmmm said:

What is correct way to open an image from Publisher in Photo?

The issue seems to be the way the image gets into Publisher rather than how you go from Publisher to Photo.  Try using File / Place instead of dragging the image.

4 hours ago, mmmmmmmm said:

I created two screenshots of what happens. In both cases I dragged the .ARW (Sony raw file) into the program and set the shadows to 62%. Hopefuly this makes it more clearer to what I refer to in the previous post. So what is going on.

photo.png

Publisher.png

I think the issue is that you are using a Shadows/Highlights adjustment in a CMYK document in Publisher, whereas you are boosting the shadows in an RGB document in Photo (Develop Persona).

2 hours ago, mmmmmmmm said:

I Changed the document settings in Publisher to RGB and now I can edit the photo's as expected.

Does this document setting have any other effect in the end for me? The end for me is that I export to PDF and sent it for print.

Yes, it could have significant effects on colours if you export a CMYK PDF from an RGB Publisher document.  If you need to be working on a CMYK document in Publisher, yet retain the ability to non-destructively edit an image in RGB, then embed or link an RGB document containing the image in the CMYK Publisher document. A linked or embedded document can be opened for editing in a separate document view by double-clicking it in the parent document.