You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scrubby Zoom (implemented)

A_B_C,

I completely agree with you. I can appreciate how some users might like the new scrubby zoom but for me it takes more mousing to get the same view. It also seems to take longer for me but maybe it is just me? If I used a mouse with a scroll wheel or a different mouse, would it be better? I'm not sure why some people like the new scrubby zoom so much? Am I missing something? Currently holding the option (or alt) key gets the old behaviour back (sometimes) and while it is helpful a full preference would be the best solution (in my humble opinion). 

Hokusai

I find scrubby zoom great when working on my tablet...

A_B_C,

I completely agree with you. I can appreciate how some users might like the new scrubby zoom but for me it takes more mousing to get the same view. It also seems to take longer for me but maybe it is just me? If I used a mouse with a scroll wheel or a different mouse, would it be better? I'm not sure why some people like the new scrubby zoom so much? Am I missing something? Currently holding the option (or alt) key gets the old behaviour back (sometimes) and while it is helpful a full preference would be the best solution (in my humble opinion). 

Hokusai

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I find scrubby zoom great when working on my tablet...

ronnyb,

Just curious, what do you think of the scrubby zoom when using a mouse (sorry I don't know if this is right or not but I'm guessing that you don't use a mouse and that you are using a Wacom tablet or a similar tablet with a pen or stylus)?

Hokusai

Hey Hokusai, I actually don't mind the scrubby zoom with the mouse at all... I wish it also scrubbed while dragging up and down as well. When I work on my laptop's trackpad I use the pinch gesture. Also when I work on my Wacom with Touch input enabled, but when I don't have it enabled I like the scrubby zoom on the stylus... I don't think there is a right or wrong way or best vs worse, it's just a matter of personal preference... if the UI is flexible enough to offer multiple ways of achieving the same end AND it's not confusing to the user, then so much the better, that's what Preference settings are for :)

ronnyb,

Just curious, what do you think of the scrubby zoom when using a mouse (sorry I don't know if this is right or not but I'm guessing that you don't use a mouse and that you are using a Wacom tablet or a similar tablet with a pen or stylus)?

Hokusai

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

Hey Hokusai, I actually don't mind the scrubby zoom with the mouse at all... I wish it also scrubbed while dragging up and down as well. When I work on my laptop's trackpad I use the pinch gesture. Also when I work on my Wacom with Touch input enabled, but when I don't have it enabled I like the scrubby zoom on the stylus... I don't think there is a right or wrong way or best vs worse, it's just a matter of personal preference... if the UI is flexible enough to offer multiple ways of achieving the same end AND it's not confusing to the user, then so much the better, that's what Preference settings are for :)

ronnyb,

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if the scrubby zoom worked better with a tablet or a trackpad as I only use a mouse (and a one button mouse at that). I'm envious, I have wanted to try a Wacom table for a long time but for some reason or another, I have never used one (okay I've played around with them here and there in stores around Japan but the demos were always with Windows and the software was always something that I wasn't familiar with and so I didn't really get a good feel as to whether or not it would be suitable for me or not). I have used multi-button mice in the past but I almost always come back to a simple one button mouse. I prefer the simplicity of it. I also prefer desktops to laptops and so no trackpad for me either. Your statement about the Preference settings are wise words! 

Hokusai

Hokusai, I also prefer the mouse for most things, but when I'm doing image editing and retouching working with brushes and masks, the flexibility of a tablet is hard to beat. I'm using a current generation, small Intuous Pro, which is good for up to ~15" laptop screen, but for a desktop set up (assuming you're using a 21" or larger screen) I would prefer the medium size, so the scaling isn't that bad. But for working with vectors, I prefer the precision of a mouse hands down. I'm not a big fan of reshaping vector handles with a tablet.

I'm REALLY looking forward to iPad Pro, Pencil, and Astropad as a Wacom replacement/upgrade... 

ronnyb,

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if the scrubby zoom worked better with a tablet or a trackpad as I only use a mouse (and a one button mouse at that). I'm envious, I have wanted to try a Wacom table for a long time but for some reason or another, I have never used one (okay I've played around with them here and there in stores around Japan but the demos were always with Windows and the software was always something that I wasn't familiar with and so I didn't really get a good feel as to whether or not it would be suitable for me or not). I have used multi-button mice in the past but I almost always come back to a simple one button mouse. I prefer the simplicity of it. I also prefer desktops to laptops and so no trackpad for me either. Your statement about the Preference settings are wise words! 

Hokusai

• 2 months later...

Certainly not a bad idea at all - we can look to add this in future betas, I'm sure :)  Sorry that this new behaviour is a regression for you :(

MattP,

I know that you are busy but I was just curious if you had thought anymore about this? I would still love to be able to turn off the scrubby zoom permanently with a preference. I asked about this on another post but I didn't hear anything (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15387-a-few-questions-and-maybe-a-request-or-two/?hl=scrubby+zoom). I was hoping with the new beta there would be a preference for which zooming behavior we prefer but I couldn't find it. Maybe it is there and I just didn't see it? I'm still using Designer 1.21 more than the beta and I've been avoiding updating Designer because I don't want the scrubby zoom. 

Thanks for considering my request,

Hokusai

• 2 weeks later...

No one knows? I was hoping someone had a idea of whether or not a preference for choosing which zoom the user wants will be added or not? I really, really dislike the scrubby zoom and while I download the latest betas and play around with them, until there is an option to get the old zoom behavior back, I can't use it for actual work (yes, the scrubby zoom annoys me that much). 

Hokusai

Alex,

Thanks for the link. Yes, I already knew about that (it is mentioned on the first page of this thread too) but I would prefer to completely replace the scrubby zoom because the command + option + space bar doesn't always work. The current situation is better than nothing but it is far from ideal (at least for me). I have really tried to force myself to like the new zooming behavior but it seems to take more mousing to get the same amount of zoom than the old way.

Hokusai

Thanks A_B_C! I checked this a few months back (it worked then, but only with the magnifier tool selected and not with any other tool selected) - this must be new?

Great to know, but I'd still much prefer a preference to choose between the scrubby and marquee methods...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Nothing? I am desperately hoping that a preference will be added so that I can get back the old zooming behaviour without having to use an extra modifier key. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread that I can appreciate how some people like it but for me, it is horrible. In fact, for me it takes the joy out of using Designer (as I mentioned before, I still use an old version of Designer that is pre-scubby zoom because I despise scrubby zooming that much). I have tried and tried to get used to scrubby zooming but it is horrible with a mouse (for me anyways) and it requires much more mousing. I would just like to be able to choose which zooming behavior I use. I would compare Scrubby Zooming to Velcro (or MagicTape here in Japan) shoes. Velcro shoes were cool at one time and it is still popular with some people (admittedly mostly old people and young children) but in general most people prefer the old style that worked so well for so many years (and continues to get the job done). Just my opinion and while I can appreciate that others may not see things like I do, I see no harm in offering users a choice. I know that there are others out there like me who would like to be able to choose which zooming behaviour that they use. Any news regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hokusai

MEB,

Thanks for replying and thank you so much for the information. I hope that it is implemented. I download and try out all the latest betas but I continue to use an old version of Designer for work because of the zoom. I would love to have the features and functionality that is in the newer versions of Designer but the scrubby zoom (for me) is so terrible that it negates any advantage the new features would give, so I use the pre-scrubby zoom Designer for work. I don't think I'm alone on this, I'm pretty sure that there are many others that prefer the old zooming behavior (so being able to choose seems like the best method). 

Hokusai

I have to agree 100%. Infinite zoom is a great feature of affinity designer, but it's crippled by the horrible scrubby zoom method. Pretty frustrating to use right now - after 20yrs of muscle memory with the marque method I'm only about 50/50 remembering to use the extra option modifier...

cleay,

I completely agree with you. I hope that they add a preference for zooming soon! Pardon the pun, but I would love to scrub the scrubby zooming! 

00Ghz, 

Wow, I didn't know that Photoshop has scrubby zooming too. Another reason (besides the subscription model) to avoid it like the plague! 

Hokusai

Hi 00Ghz,

Press ⌘ (cmd) + Spacebar from any tool to (scrubby) zoom.

First anyway to change shortcut? Overlaps with spotlight one. And you have to press space first, otherwise it won’t activate.

Second it lags really bad + weird snapping behaviour. I understand now while people are complaining about it. I would rather have it fixed than removed.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

For me scrubby zooming is preferred (coming from Photoshop), but it is way to slow. I have to move the pen on my tablet back and forth a few times, whereas in Photoshop it's much more sensitive and therefore a lot quicker (I don't need to lift the pen/mouse and get a very wide zoom range). Gets annoying after a while. I can see why some prefer the marquee zoom in this case as its currently quicker than scrubbing.

Photoshop uses both command+space and option+space (latter does not interfere with Spotlight) and has a dedicated setting for scrubby/marquee zooming.