You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scrubby Zoom (implemented)

• 2 weeks later...

it's available with the latest betas, but only while using the zoom tool + drag....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I would like to request a preference box for the new zooming behavior (I looked for one but I couldn't find it anywhere). I've tried the new behavior and while I can appreciate how some people would like it, it isn't for me. In fact I dislike it so much so that I have stopped using the latest beta and I'v gone back to using the old Mac Store app. It is nice that I can use the old zooming behavior if I'm using the zoom tool but I rarely (if ever) use the zoom tool and instead access it while using another tool. I know that tastes vary and maybe I'm in the minority but it would be great if there was a preference that would let me decide if which zooming behavior works best for me. 

Thanks,

Hokusai

MattP,

Thanks for understanding, and sorry the new zoom behavior isn't for me. I can appreciate the effort it took to program it and add it to Designer. I can imagine developing a program like Designer is incredibly tough. You want to add new features or change things but at the same time some people prefer the old ones or the old way. Luckily in this case, a preference will make everyone happy. 

Thanks for considering my request,

Hokusai

@QMBd - I've tried option-command-space but it just changes the scrubby zoom icon to '-'. The scrub function is the same regardless of the option key; drag down to zoom in and up to zoom out (why not just change the icon to '-' as soon as you drag up?).

Can't find a way to get the old select-rectangle method of zooming with the option key though?...

It would be beneficial if the scrubby zoom responded to vertical mouse tracking as well as horizontal, so tracking up would zoom in (or out... pref setting) and tracking down would zoom in the opposite direction.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

It would be beneficial if the scrubby zoom responded to vertical mouse tracking as well as horizontal, so tracking up would zoom in (or out... pref setting) and tracking down would zoom in the opposite direction.

Certainly not a bad idea at all - we can look to add this in future betas, I'm sure :)  Sorry that this new behaviour is a regression for you :(

• Staff

Hi ronny,

We did briefly have this behaviour in the beta (for a few days) and it actually didn't work very nicely in practice... We had it so that Up and Right zoomed in, and Down and Left zoomed out... Imagine moving your mouse to the right to zoom in then stray up a bit (fine it stays zoomed in) then stray down a bit - and it suddenly zooms out past the starting zoom and to the zoom out level you now indicated - it was just a bit funny...

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt, I must've missed that beta. Funny I'm used to scrubbing up and down; left and right for zooming never felt correct in my brain, lol... 

How about a checkbox on the Zoom tool's Context Toolbar or an App-wide pref for one axis (left-right OR up-down) or two axis (left-right AND up-down) zoom...

Hi ronny,

We did briefly have this behaviour in the beta (for a few days) and it actually didn't work very nicely in practice... We had it so that Up and Right zoomed in, and Down and Left zoomed out... Imagine moving your mouse to the right to zoom in then stray up a bit (fine it stays zoomed in) then stray down a bit - and it suddenly zooms out past the starting zoom and to the zoom out level you now indicated - it was just a bit funny...

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 months later...

Any progress on a preference for the old drag-a-rectangle zoom method?

I've tried, but after 20 odd years of the old way the new scrub method just doesn't work for me (the new way is also much, much harder to zoom a long way into a point quickly: drag a small rectangle vs. click drag, click drag, click drag, click drag etc...).