You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Menu Item disappeared

Change from 1.7.x to 1.8.x somewhere along the line the menu item 'Text > Interactive > Insert Hyperlink' disappeared for already existing hyperlinks.  These can be edited (still) by right clicking and selecting 'interactive' but cannot be edited from the main app menu.  This breaks an automation I have for updating existing hyperlinks in a doc. 😪

Untitled.jpg

Which release, exactly, are you running @Dampsquid, and where did you purchase it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To me it appears logically that the menu entry "insert..." isn't available for an already inserted link (though I'd expect it to be greyed out instead of not occurring).

I can't imagine in which way you use an automated update for hyperlinks – but doesn't the Hyperlink Panel give you comfortable access to all hyperlinks in your document at once? – However, possibly there came an UI change in v.1.8.2, which mentioned ...:

Hyperlinks

• Hyperlink Panel wasn't displaying hyperlinks on Master pages
  • Renaming hyperlinks in Hyperlink Panel can detach objects

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/110325-affinity-publisher-for-macos-182/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso Of course the logic you describe is without fault. 🤨   If Publisher had changed the menu text to Insert/Edit... there would be no problem.

Unfortunately the hyperlink panel doesn't help.  In general, having a single pane collecting hyperlinks is useful.  However, from the point of view of updating those hyperlinks it doesn't help - it just helps find them.

Many Mac tools rely on 'reading' the app's menu bar to automate workflows... if the menu item is no longer there, the automation part is no longer possible.  The release notes mention nothing of this change.  It was perhaps deliberate, perhaps the UI designers feel a right click is better (it is for interactive mouse work), but removing something that didn't need removing is, in this case, unhelpful.

I do hope this an oversight / bug and will be put back.  In the meantime a regular task has become more tedious, longer, and more error-prone sadly. So, in the meantime I'll have to stick with 1.7.x.

Ah, I guess I understand: You aren't missing in the main menu the not-occurring entry "Insert..." but the "Edit..." for already inserted hyperlinks.
I agree, this seems to be an UI mistake (like imho the disappeared "Insert..." which should appear as greyed-out).

The "Interactive" main menu entries appear strange also for the Anchor commands. For both, hyperlinks and anchors, the right-click menu gives options which can't accessed via the main menu. Quite confusing that the UI offers 4 different "Interactive" menus for hyperlinks, instead just 1 with varying colors:

main no link  //  main existing link  //  context no link  //  context existing link:

229631963_interactive-main-nolink.jpg.31c7413a10b0877f2c40be299d6e8eb3.jpg // 1461176275_interactive-main-existinglink.jpg.d1371aec8902a67deb94904ae2ebb22f.jpg // 219111736_interactive-context-nolink.jpg.61820eafac53d9e1752ffa860d641b93.jpg // 3501970_interactive-context-existinglink.jpg.c6ac57a86d89280d1f5175cdfd3bb3dd.jpg

Hopefully the Affinity developers will fix this menu mixture, at least for macOS, where usually any right-click menu item should also occur in the main menu (with the ability to get a shortcut, too). Compare the Apple Interface Design Guide:

2119340212_hyperlinkcontextmenu-appledevelopersguide.jpg.1db77c8be9067bd42b65216f8f8040fe.jpg

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/menus/contextual-menus/

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Text > Interactive > missing options) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

There is a certain improvement: the newly added menu entry "Hyperlink Properties..." in the main menu Text > Interactive.

But there is also still differences, e.g. a missing entry "Go to Hyperlink Target" in the main menu – it occurs in the context menu only.

1039691028_v184hyperlink2.jpg.003ffd0932b2ed1b4c052d44532776ab.jpg

2068687447_v184hyperlink1.jpg.30069b9c521134d4a1ee4a4cb22be71f.jpg

Also I experience now, new with v184, difficulties to select an entry in the Hyperlink Panel. It seems never to react on a single click, though it reacts on a double click and opens the property window which then needs to get canceled to achieve simply to select the item. Very seldom it reacts on the arrow up/down keyboard keys to navigate through the entries.

Then, if an item may get selected, I notice difficulties to make the panel's button "Go to Source" being highlighted to function, instead it sometimes remains grayed out when an item was selected successfully. This way the UX confusion gets increased by the inconsistent, coincidental behavior and reaction on clicks.

• Staff

@Gabe please report Thomaso's new issues thank you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon