You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using object for drawing instead of line

Probably this is not possible, but if not this would be a nice feature request:

Anyways I made a small simple object and want to use it as the outline of a bigger object. The way I would do that usually is by copying and rotating it till it outlines the shape I want to.
However, this gets very tricky with more complex shapes, and making corners of different angles is very time consuming. So I was wondering, can I use an object to draw with? i.e. replace the black line that is usually used with the pencil tool with my object, so that it automatically gets rotated around corners etc.?

Maybe an alternative way to describe this would be contiously by copypasting a selected object while dragging your mouse.

There are two main tools (and maybe others) that you could use to get what you want.
The first is by using a Vector Brush and the other is by using a Pixel Brush – search for each in the Help.
Which one you can/should use depends on which Affinity application(s) you have and what you’re trying to do.
For instance, a Vector Brush can be applied to an existing curve but a Pixel Brush cannot. Also, not all the Affinity applications can use both types of brush.
If you can give more information about exactly what you are trying to achieve then we can probably advise further, but read the relevant Help pages first so you have an overview of what each can do (depending on application).

Thanks for your answer, but I could not really figure out how to use either of those tools for what I want.

Let's say I  have an object like this. And I want to make a longer structure from it.

image.png.0f9b88ce1101251504597c20fe1c05e7.png

Like this:

image.png.36389efd7eeb1f0d4676084f41733a28.png

How would I do that without painstakingly copy the elements and put them back together?

I just want to kind of draw the with the object, if possible.

Ah, sorry. I am using the MacOs version of Affinity Designer, current version 1.8.3.

Edit: I figured it out with the help of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=876&v=5mB2ta6zEOo&feature=emb_logo

I have to export my object as a png and then can create a new textured image brush with the png as a template. Simply have to use the "repeat" option for the body and need to adjust what part should be repeated and it works perfectly.

I think I watched that video myself a while ago and, from what I remember, it gave good instructions.
I’m glad you have found a solution.
Note: Photo and Publisher don’t have Vector Brushes so the procedure in the video won’t work in them.