You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Choose resolution before editing RAW. Resolución antes de procesar un RAW.

I would like to know if it is possible, as happens in Adobe Camera Raw, to be able to define the points per inch -dpp- of a RAW before to start the 
processing of the file with a higher resolution than the RAW originally has. Thank you. 

Quisiera saber si es posible como pasa en Camera Raw de Adobe poder definir los puntos por pulgada -dpp- e iniciar el procesamiento del raw con una resolución mayor de la que tiene en origen el RAW,  Gracias.

Edited by fochardo

• Staff
On 3/31/2020 at 1:37 PM, fochardo said:

I would like to know if it is possible, as happens in Adobe Camera Raw, to be able to define the points per inch -dpp- of a RAW before to start the 
processing of the file with a higher resolution than the RAW originally has. Thank you. 

Quisiera saber si es posible como pasa en Camera Raw de Adobe poder definir los puntos por pulgada -dpp- e iniciar el procesamiento del raw con una resolución mayor de la que tiene en origen el RAW,  Gracias.

Hi @fochardo, I'm not sure that what you're asking is relevant to RAW development—PPI (or DPI, as we refer to it in the Affinity apps) has no bearing on the pixel resolution here. It does have meaning regarding the relationship between physical measurements and the pixel resolution, but this does not factor into RAW development.

Are you asking whether it is possible to "resample" the RAW file before developing it? If so, this is not possible (I'm not sure why you would do this either). Affinity Photo processes RAW files at their original given pixel resolution—DPI/PPI is irrelevant here, so please don't be concerned about losing quality or resolution.

Affinity Photo will arbitrarily use the DPI value specified in the RAW metadata (often tagged as XResolution and YResolution)—e.g. in Sony ARW files this tends to be 350, whereas I've just opened a Canon CR3 which is set to 72. Again, though, this DPI value does not affect the pixel resolution of the developed RAW file—you are always developing at the original (and highest) resolution.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials