Hi  I have just downloaded Affinity Photo for the first time and am also looking to download the free JR Macros too.  Affinity Photo has downloaded to Windows just fine for me however when trying to download the Macros I get error "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps settings page".  Please advise.

How have you been trying to install these macros? I would guess that you have double-clicked on them from Windows. You need to install them from within the Library Studio panel,  View > Studio > Library. You should be able to import the macro library from the dropdown menu at the top right of the Library panel (looks like three horizontal bars). Choose the second option: Import macros.

I have to admit I was thrown by your title. I though you were trying to import some of my macros. Same initials as James Ritson.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

What link (URL) are you using to download the JR Macros from? As mentioned here, the old link for the JR Workflow Bundle (which included the JR - Workflow Aids.afmacros file) no longer works, throwing "Error code: 2F173/O" on my Mac using Safari.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Presumably, as a new Photo user, NIcolaBrock was referring to the offer in the Welcome Screen, which has a working link :)

image.png.64371894c3f687f2f6854c769922fc8a.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Presumably, as a new Photo user, NIcolaBrock was referring to the offer in the Welcome Screen, which has a working link :)

Ha! I never even noticed that Welcome screen link or that there were any other "JR" macros from @James Ritson besides the ones in the (now missing?) JR - Workflow Aids & JR - Tonal Effects downloads.

So you are probably right about that, although I still would like to know what happened to the missing two. 

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

I have also downloaded the jr-channels file which shown in file explorer as being a afmacros file type. is this a zipped file and if so how to unzip without the cost of installing WinZip? I followed the download and installation instructions, result File type not recognised.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:16 AM, JamesRB said:

I have also downloaded the jr-channels file which shown in file explorer as being a afmacros file type. is this a zipped file and if so how to unzip without the cost of installing WinZip? I followed the download and installation instructions, result File type not recognised.

I stopped using WinZip years ago when I discovered 7-Zip, which is free: https://www.7-zip.org/

Windows 10 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP & AD

On 4/4/2020 at 7:16 AM, JamesRB said:

It is not zipped. You open the Library studio panel, click on the burger menu, and Import the .afmacros file.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:28 AM, JamesRB said:

I now have the macro in the left hand column under macros, but how do you use it?

You should have several macros in that category in your Library panel.

Tthe Installation Guide that was also on the page where you downloaded the .afmacros file gives the usage instructions. If you did not download the guide, you can go back to the Affinity Store, and check your downloads (https://affinity.store/account/downloads) and get it there.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

There is a short description of the included macros and their purposes (what they do) inside the installment PDF.

anleitung.jpg.94f93c609f98576e7f870a00bb2222c6.jpg

Other than that, see also ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan