You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi  I have just downloaded Affinity Photo for the first time and am also looking to download the free JR Macros too.  Affinity Photo has downloaded to Windows just fine for me however when trying to download the Macros I get error "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps settings page".  Please advise.

How have you been trying to install these macros? I would guess that you have double-clicked on them from Windows. You need to install them from within the Library Studio panel,  View > Studio > Library. You should be able to import the macro library from the dropdown menu at the top right of the Library panel (looks like three horizontal bars). Choose the second option: Import macros.

I have to admit I was thrown by your title. I though you were trying to import some of my macros. Same initials as James Ritson.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

What link (URL) are you using to download the JR Macros from? As mentioned here, the old link for the JR Workflow Bundle (which included the JR - Workflow Aids.afmacros file) no longer works, throwing "Error code: 2F173/O" on my Mac using Safari.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Presumably, as a new Photo user, NIcolaBrock was referring to the offer in the Welcome Screen, which has a working link :)

image.png.64371894c3f687f2f6854c769922fc8a.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Presumably, as a new Photo user, NIcolaBrock was referring to the offer in the Welcome Screen, which has a working link :)

Ha! I never even noticed that Welcome screen link or that there were any other "JR" macros from @James Ritson besides the ones in the (now missing?) JR - Workflow Aids & JR - Tonal Effects downloads.

So you are probably right about that, although I still would like to know what happened to the missing two. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have also downloaded the jr-channels file which shown in file explorer as being a afmacros file type. is this a zipped file and if so how to unzip without the cost of installing WinZip? I followed the download and installation instructions, result File type not recognised.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:16 AM, JamesRB said:

I have also downloaded the jr-channels file which shown in file explorer as being a afmacros file type. is this a zipped file and if so how to unzip without the cost of installing WinZip? I followed the download and installation instructions, result File type not recognised.

I stopped using WinZip years ago when I discovered 7-Zip, which is free: https://www.7-zip.org/

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

On 4/4/2020 at 7:16 AM, JamesRB said:

It is not zipped. You open the Library studio panel, click on the burger menu, and Import the .afmacros file.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:28 AM, JamesRB said:

I now have the macro in the left hand column under macros, but how do you use it?

You should have several macros in that category in your Library panel.

Tthe Installation Guide that was also on the page where you downloaded the .afmacros file gives the usage instructions. If you did not download the guide, you can go back to the Affinity Store, and check your downloads (https://affinity.store/account/downloads) and get it there.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

There is a short description of the included macros and their purposes (what they do) inside the installment PDF.

anleitung.jpg.94f93c609f98576e7f870a00bb2222c6.jpg

Other than that, see also ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 7 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, walt.farrell said:

image.png.64371894c3f687f2f6854c769922fc8a.png

This welcome page/screen almost prevented me from completing this simple task that took more time than needed. I found myself clicking and ended up moving options around not even paying attention where I sent them. I ended up resetting to default and luckily this was brand new out of the digital box that resetting didn't matter. :D

I managed to find the "Import Macros" option by moving (dragging) the welcome screen over a few millimeters to the right and found the Library Menu (air vent / hamburger) hiding behind a small amount of the black frame of the welcome page/screen. :)

Hope this helps future readers. ;)

Affinity_Library_Menu.png

5 hours ago, Mystic Solitaire said:

I managed to find the "Import Macros" option by moving (dragging) the welcome screen over a few millimeters to the right and found the Library Menu (air vent / hamburger) hiding behind a small amount of the black frame of the welcome page/screen.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Clicking the Close button in the Welcome screen would have helped, too :)

-- Walt
PC: