You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curve as text frame problems

AP 1.8.2, MacOS 10.14.x

I observe this behaviour:

• I draw a closed curve (5-sided irregular polygon) to use it as a text frame.
  • The text frame tool only accepts that curve as a text frame if the stroke is set to something other than "none" (none = the leftmost setting in the stroke panel). The text frame tool offers to snap on the non-stroke but does not change to the "text in shape" cursor. Same if I set the stroke colour to "none" in the colour panel and even if I set it to white (this is the part I understand least).
  • If a use a polygon with a visible stroke to achieve anything, the polygonal stroke remains in the finished text-in-shape object, and I have no way to remove that stroke. I. e. the frame shows up as a visible polygon.

This odd issue occurs if I haven't selected the blank shape object before using the text tool.
Apparently the Frame Text Tool doesn't recognize this object type if it has no color.

Until it's fixed there is a simple workflow avoiding it:

1. With the Move Tool (black arrow) click your shape object to select it.
2. Then either/or ...
... right-click on the object and choose "Convert to Text Frame".
... switch to the Frame Text Tool (T) and click in the selected object. It will convert automatically.

1863266670_shapetextframe1convert.jpg.d56d40670fbc39ef1e4746ad367b6896.jpg

No fill, no stroke but text:

1047159648_shapetextframe2nofillnostroke.jpg.8e513af97b094f7dac74b25916096fc1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Lutz Pietschker said:

If a use a polygon with a visible stroke to achieve anything, the polygonal stroke remains in the finished text-in-shape object, and I have no way to remove that stroke. I. e. the frame shows up as a visible polygon.

Once a shape object is converted to a text frame then you set its stroke & fill in the Text Frame Panel, not in the Colours Panel as before the convertion.

1052790470_shapetextframe3.jpg.f40beabf00535761f0fc51d399530f17.jpg

• Staff

Hi both,

I'm not entirely sure how you get it to work without selecting the layer first. 2 of us tried it here and can't get it to work without the curve layer being selected (Expected behaviour). Any chance any of you can attach a screen recording of this in action please?

Gabe, I totally had forgotten the option to use the Layer Panel. Instead I selected the shape object with the Move Tool (as described above), which, of cause, does select the layer, too – not directly/manually but rather as a automatically side effect, in the background.

My confusion occurred because I am used to see the Text Frame Tool cursor change automatically as soon it hovers over an object which it can affect, even if its layer is not selected, as on text frames.

But yes, on the other hand it can be useful (and preferred by the user) not to have the text frame cursor change over a shape object automatically: When the user wants to create a new text frame on top of an existing shape object.

Hello Gabe,

I am sorry, but I am not able to reproduce the behaviour now. It may have to do with selecting the layer or it may have some other reason or it may have been the confusion thomaso mentioned – I'll keep an eye open and call again when I have a good example. I do not exclude the possiblílity that I created soem confused situation myself. I have yet to drill myself to accept that, in the Affinity suite, I have to keep a constant eye on the layer panel.

Thanks for the help! Lutz