You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Long-press shortcuts are super useful in other apps such as Photoshop, really help to speed up workflows, and I thought it might be a great little addition to Affinity apps too. 
I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about, but just for clarity:
When you use a tool in PS, and press and hold a shortcut for another tool, you can temporarily use that tool until you stop pressing the shortcut.

For instance, if you're using the brush tool, you can press and hold "E" to temporarily use the eraser tool, which then automatically switches back to the brush tool as soon as you stop pressing "E".

This works in some cases in Affinity.

For example draw with Pen Tool, press Ctrl switch to Node Tool (correct node position or curve shape), release Ctrl - continue with Pen Tool. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

@Pšenda 
I know about the quick 'edit' mode switch when using the pen tool - very handy!
Something similar is also available for the Pixel Tool, where when you hold Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) to quickly transform the brush into an eraser (I this would actually be such a great tool for the normal brush tool too).

With what I mentioned, it's a lot more versatile, as you wouldn't be limited any any specific tool.
With the long press shortcuts (which would ultimately be very similar to the pen tool edit mode) I could be painting with the brush, quickly switch to the smudge brush tool, or eraser, or flood fill, or freehand selection, etc, and back to the brush with ease.

• 3 years later...
  • Staff

Hi Christi - sorry this took a while(!) but we have just added long press shortcuts to the 2.2 beta if you fancied giving it a go ;)

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

55 minutes ago, Ash said:

Hi Christi - sorry this took a while(!) but we have just added long press shortcuts to the 2.2 beta if you fancied giving it a go ;)

@Ash There's absolutely no need for apologies! The fact that you guys added this is absolutely amazing - thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll be sure to take it for a test run as soon as I get a chance and I'm excited for this to be a part of an official release so that I can really implement it into my workflow. :D