skylamar

Convert Shape to Text Frame Loses Stroke and Fill

Hello. I'm not 100% sure this is a bug. Maybe I'm just confused. But here's what's happening: when I create a shape and then give it a stroke and/or fill and then convert that shape to a text frame, the shape loses the stroke and fill. When I first bought Affinity Publisher in August of last year, I didn't experience that behavior. Back then, when I created a shape and converted it to a text frame, the shape's stroke and fill remained. 

I've attached two screenshots: the first is from a document I made right after I bought Affinity Publisher in August. In the screenshot, you can see that an elliptical call-out and a triangle have both been converted to a text frame and their strokes and fills are visible. The second screenshot is from the same document, but on a different page that I added today. On that page, I put two shapes: an elliptical call-out and a triangle. I converted them both to text frames but they lost their stroke and fill. So it seems that Publisher's ability to retain strokes/fills of shapes converted to text frames has changed since August.

1. Are you using the latest release version? Yes
    (here's how to check)
  2. Can you reproduce it? Yes
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? It happens for a new document
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, etc)? macOS Catalina 10.15.4
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen) See above description at very top of this post describing what I did
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). See above description at very top of this post describing what I did
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. Attached and described in second paragraph at top of this post
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. No
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) It used to work as described at top of this post

shapes with text older.png

shapes with text newer.png

Are you sure you're in Publisher, @skylamar? What you're describing is the expected behavior for Designer.

For me, on Windows, Publisher still keeps the fill and stroke when I convert a shape to a text frame, so if there's an issue is seems like it is Mac-specific.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

On macOS to me the convertion of a shape object doesn't influence stroke or fill at all.

174326622_shapetextframestrokeandfill.jpg.29f32f15dea33c6e436142e40489534f.jpg

Could you upload a video showing your workflow + layers + text frame panel?

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

Walt, yes I'm sure I'm using Publisher. I first tried in Designer and then read a post in these forums that the stroke and fill are not retained in Designer. So I then tried in Publisher and was surprised that I was experiencing the same issue in Publisher too, especially because I didn't experience that behavior back in August. I have attached a screen recording.

Apparently it depends on the way how I convert the shape object to a text frame:

Text Frame Tool + click maintains object colors   /   Move Tool + right click menu eliminates colors:

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

thomosa, thanks! That's good to know. But it seems like a legitimate bug to me that the stroke/fill is retained one way but not the other. When I created the text frames back in August, I'm pretty sure I right-clicked using the move tool the same way I did it last night. I didn't even realize you could do it your way, by selecting the text frame tool and clicking on the shape.

On Windows, all 3 methods retain the stroke and fill, so I think you've found a bug in the Mac version.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

1 minute ago, skylamar said:

Do people at Serif read these posts, or do I need to submit the bug to them another way?

You've posted in one of the Bugs forums, which is the proper way to report a bug report. They will get to it, though it might take awhile as they are very busy and working in adverse circumstances.

-- Walt

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You've posted in one of the Bugs forums, which is the proper way to report a bug report. They will get to it, though it might take awhile as they are very busy and working in adverse circumstances.

Okay, good to know. Thanks.

> "... adverse circumstances" ... "good to know."  

Honestly I don't dislike this adversity: the different behavior of tools – button vs. menu – as an additional option without being more laborious.

I have also seen this bug in Affinity Photo.  It has been driving me crazy as I thought I was doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, JanetM said:

I have also seen this bug in Affinity Photo.  It has been driving me crazy as I thought I was doing something wrong.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Janet.

In Photo you're supposed to lose the stroke and fill, I think. The bug we've been discussing is that there is one method of converting them in Publisher that is also losing the stroke/fill. Publisher is supposed to keep the stroke/fill as it can be adjusted in the Text Frame panel. Designer and Photo don't have studio panel, so they remove the stroke/fill intentionally.

-- Walt