You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Would Like Better Call-Out Shapes for Making Comics

When I was in elementary school (I'm decades older now), I used to spend hours each day drawing comics. My art skills were mediocre, but I had fun. A few years ago, I bought Clip Paint Studio, the Japanese anime/comic-book software, to play round with making digital comics, but I found the software unintuitive and so hardly used it at all.

Fast forward to today and I own all three Affinity apps. And I realized I could easily make comics with them, using Publisher as the main app for accessing all three.

However,  Affinity Designer's Call-Out shapes, which I would like to use as speech bubbles, are unnecessarily limited. The main problem is that the tail of the shapes can only be moved left and right. I wish the tail could be dragged to any position on the circumference of the shape.

Yes, I could easily create some speech bubbles myself, since they are basically just ovals with a triangle attached. And that's what I'll do. But it'd be easier to use the call-out shapes, especially if I were creating a comic with numerous pages.

Also, I realize it is possible to create a non-destructive compound shape containing the oval and the triangle, which makes it somewhat easier to change the location of the triangle when needed, but a smarter call-out shape would be better.

• 1 month later...

Also having importable and exportable smart shape libraries would be good a bit like Assets but with adjustment points/nodes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions