You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is the colour different after I export my image?

Hey guys, so I have this issue, every single image I edit faces this. When I export, the file created is more saturated than what it appeared to be in affinity. Here is an example - the exported image, and the file in affinity that I exported from. Does anybody know what might be causing this or how to fix this? Thanks for your input my dudes

Colour differrence.jpg

Try setting correct ICC profile for monitor in OS.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Try setting correct ICC profile for monitor in OS.

Alas, my monitor's colour profile is already sRGB iec61966-2.1. so no luck there - thanks for the reply though

10 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Because Affinity Photo is a color managed app, but Windows Photos is not. The difference in this screenshot is not that great because it has been mapped to sRGB color gamut. But the larger the color gamut of your monitor is, the larger the difference in saturation. As the sample color image has sRGB profile embedded, it would look like the one on the left in any color managed app, but far more vivid when viewed with a non-color managed app. 

srgb_photos.jpg.82a0fc780fd09c334a906d7171e4e92c.jpg

If what you see in Affinity Photo is fine, there is nothing wrong with your ICC profile.

UPDATE: This file has AdobeRGB profile embedded but is mapped to sRGB on this forum, but it should show a bit better the relative difference between these two color spaces (in real environment the image on the left, which here shows dimmed colors, would look like the one one the right, and one on the right would look much more vivid). 

srgb_photos_argbembedded.jpg.c1da7802edef3d0a7a4c12e76aaf1658.jpg

Thanks for the reply my dude :)

So if I understand correctly, this is just inevitable because most photo viewers are not colour managed and will boost saturation? 

I tried comparing photos from affinity photo vs flickr vs windows, and images uploaded to flickr matched the colours in affinity a whole lot better than windows photo viewer, so I'm happy since the end viewer should see it mostly correctly. I think I'm happy enough with it now knowing it's just windows photo viewer. 

• 5 weeks later...

Great,

thank you very much for this thread. It just helped me a lot, because I also wondered why the colors of the same picture looks brighter in Affinity Photo than in my picture viewer XNView.

I did not know that XNView can work with ICC profiles. A great hint! Especially since the display of my laptop is very bluish and therefore I installed a special ICC profile from the manufacturer a long time ago to fix the problem.

And now I remember again that I changed the ICC profile of my Chrome browser from "System profile" to "RGB profile" some time ago. This was necessary because the RGB color values that I programmed when I designed a web page no longer matched the original values when displayed in the browser. Therefore an image downloaded from the internet looked paler in the browser than in Affinity Photo. The browser no longer used the special color profile stored in Windows.

As a layman, one usually only recognizes these correlations when problems occur. I had long forgotten that I switched off the icc profile in Chrome, so today I was surprised that the photos looks so pale in the browser and also in XNView.

Thanks to this thread I'm now up to date again regarding the color profiles. Thanks to all involved.

Greeting Markus