You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. Does anyone know of a plugin with which we can create artistic effects from photos, like turning a photo into an oil paint, a sketch, a cartoon and so on. Something like Befunky or GoArt. These are only online. There are a ton of apps for Android and Apple for that, but I want a desktop solution. There are also scripts and actions on envato for PS for example, but I'd prefer a plugin. It can even be some other application than Affinity. I remember using one a long time ago, which was free on top of that, but I don't remember the name.

Thanks

Try Jixipix products you can download a trial version of all their software. I think their plugin works with affinity but I personally use their products as standalone 

https://jixipix.com/bundles/premium-pack.html

Filter Forge is excellent.

Original on top and below: Filter Forge - Sketchy Painting filter

312117953_ScreenShot2020-03-30at23_06_04.png.e3e49fd38520d049030fe358a8e3770d.png

Then a nice frame to finish it off.
2107306822_ScreenShot2020-03-30at23_13_33.png.b6420eda8bf03bc98ea0708edb2b0dcd.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, Ireground said:

Yeah download the trial and have a play.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

As a hobbyist, FF was always out of my price range, but now the 80% sale makes buying it very tempting. The pro version is still a bit pricey for me but as I understand it, the less expensive versions do not support bitmaps larger than 3000x3000 px & the basic version does not even support modifying existing filters.

I downloaded the trial & it works well as a 1.8.2 AP plugin even on my old & slow Mac. I assume the trial supports all the pro version features but it would help me decide which one to buy if there was some way to limit it to the standard or basic version features. I can't find any info on that so if anyone knows of a way to do that, please tell me.

TIA

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

As a hobbyist, FF was always out of my price range, but now the 80% sale makes buying it very tempting. The pro version is still a bit pricey for me but as I understand it, the less expensive versions do not support bitmaps larger than 3000x3000 px & the basic version does not even support modifying existing filters.

I downloaded the trial & it works well as a 1.8.2 AP plugin even on my old & slow Mac. I assume the trial supports all the pro version features but it would help me decide which one to buy if there was some way to limit it to the standard or basic version features. I can't find any info on that so if anyone knows of a way to do that, please tell me.

TIA

If you @Filter Forge I'm sure they can advise if that’s possible @R C-R

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

If you @Filter Forge I'm sure they can advise if that’s possible @R C-R

Thanks, but it is a moot point now. My wife reminded me that the just signed into law Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) should provide us with enough extra income that our budget can accommodate a few indulgences, so I went ahead & bought the pro version. 😀

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Thanks, but it is a moot point now. My wife reminded me that the just signed into law Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) should provide us with enough extra income that our budget can accommodate a few indulgences, so I went ahead & bought the pro version. 😀

Most excellent, welcome to the FilterForgeFold 👍

59 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Most excellent, welcome to the FilterForgeFold 👍

Would that be the "FFF" for short? :8_laughing:

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

signed into law Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) should provide us with enough extra income

By the time I receive it and get my hamburger out of Lay-Away at Walmart the discount will be gone, such is life.  It’s great that none of the forum members have reported any terrible news concerning infection of the virus.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Regarding Filter Forge 9 as a plugin for the Mac version of AP, I discovered after buying the Pro version that while it works with the 1.8.2 retail version, there are a few problems with it, the worst of which is applying one of its filters to an .afphoto document is incredibly slow (like two minutes of spinning beachball before it finally updates in AP. Also ,the plugin does not remember any filters I have added to my favorites list in the stand alone version.

However, I am happy to report that neither issue is present in the just released 1.8.3.180 - GM Seed beta version. 👍

Affinity Photo 

17 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Purchased. Amazing app. Infinite possibilities. Generates textures too. If you're not into 3D or don't have the patience to create your own filters, the basic version at 29$ is plenty enough.

Hi Guys.

I do want to give you this tip.if you want to use JIXPIX plugins,be aware that it"indeed nice plugins,but,if you apply a filter to an image and you want to go back to the same image and change the one you"ve use before,you CAN"T go back because AP does not let you do so,I"ve report this already and it" still not working,please be aware of this !!!!!!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, R C-R said:

As a hobbyist, FF was always out of my price range, but now the 80% sale makes buying it very tempting.

Gotta say that FF pro is usually 80 % off and $399 is just marketing ploy.

51 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Gotta say that FF pro is usually 80 % off and $399 is just marketing ploy.

Still worth it and I certainly get value, I’ve made my own filters - lots of fun, and I’ve used it on practically a daily basis since I bought it. I think JixiPix is also very good but use them off and on, a few of my fav JixiPix are Aquarella, Portrait Painter and Artista Haiku, JixiPix have some really nice effects and the application of texture is nice. In the JixiPix Pack I wish you could stack the effects and create something akin to the Overlays we have in Affinity’s Develop Persona, that would add a very cool dimension to the JixiPix Pack.

This one is JixiPix: Aquarella.
1903428828_WomaninWater-Aquarella.thumb.jpg.cf384c2551eb41893d107d7d3e9e5ee3.jpg

• 10 months later...

The plugins that we are discussing in this forum are those that plug into Affinity Photo, so your question is irrelevant. If you can upgrade your hardware (more memory or a faster CPU) that would help, but it is  not usually essential.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi Guys.

I"m back with the same problem i"ve started this treath,

I can not apply a preset to an image and start again the software a reapet an other preset,because it(the software in use)does not open again,do you all have the same problems?I;ve updated all the software I'm using and still I can"t do the things i"ve mentioned above.

charles

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

The GMIC plugin offers many artistic filters.

John

But only on Windows from within Affinity Photo, Mac users have to use Photoshop or Gimp as an indirect route :ph34r: