You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot load images in new install (split)

Hi, my Affinity Photo programme update I got last week does not work right, ever since I loaded it in, I cant get an image to load, and I keep getting circle hang, and it just does nothing, can anyone help on this matter, please.

I still havn't had reply to the comment i placed last night, i cant use affinity photo at all, could someone please reply to this post, my product was paid for through my partner, Miss Scruton, check your records, i don't do onling banking, that is why it was done through my partner account. please help to resolve this issue.

All of the staff must work from their homes due to the pandemic, which has made it difficult to reply as quickly as they would like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for a reply my friend, I just so frustrating no be able to use Affinity photo till this problem is solved, as I use it a lot with my photos and for texture images in my 3D iclone work too, so everything is on hold for me, till someone can help to resolve the matter, it happened just after the new upgrade to Affinity Photo the other week, it just app hangs all the time, and there is nothing I can do about it till then. this is what kind of work I do in iclone animations. 

• Staff

Hi Stu 52 :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here.

Could you please confirm for me, are you using File>Open or File>Place to import your image? What format and file size is this image please? Does the hang/crash happen with any image/document, or only certain ones?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, any image I bring into Affinity Photo, file open no matter what format, I just get app hang all the time, can not work on anything, if it helps, before the upgrade last week, I could load any jpeg image with no problem and work away on the, but now I can not work will any photos or images at all, the programme loads fine, but the minute I load an image, it cant handle it, and I do know it work fine before, I do not know why it has done this, so I am at a lull without my Affinity Photo, for I do work most of images from the program, I know that you are working from home because of the on going events due to the Corona virus, in that is the most important issue to solve first, I feel being stuck in due lockdown make it a little harder to get on with photos and images, I am grateful for your response and I sure we will find a problem on how to fix the matter in hand.

Kind Regards Stu 52. 

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know stu, it sounds like the app doesn't crash (ie producing a crash report), but rather just freezes?

What happens if you go to File>New and create a new document? Does this draw as expected, or also freeze your app?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

That's not myself, it's my colleague @Lee D - I wasn't aware you had contacted us separately, my apologies!

Please note -

Many thanks!

I was desperate for someone to contact me at the time, I thought the Affinity page on FaceBook was the same as the one here, but I was thinking uninstalling Affinity Photo later tonight of everything, and then try a reinstalling with original one I had at the start, then apply the up grades before the last one, and if that has any success, then I will continue with that format, and will let you both know the result from that, if that sounds better Dan. 

Hi Dan, I did an uninstall and then a reinstall of Affinity Photo, then ran it and worked very well, and started to go from Affinity 1.6 upwards to 1.8.0 all went fine and in working order, so I said to myself, let try the 1.8.2 upgrade, downloaded fine, ran fine, loaded ok, but when I ran Affinity opened a file, nothing showed, and no app hang this time, just an empty bay and when I tried to shut it down again, it said it was trying to load a file, so I left it for about two or three minutes, and nothing  showed, so it is the 1.8.2 upgrade has a flaw in it, I will have to uninstall again, and run all the upgrades up to 1.8.0 and stop at that because the programme works fine with that, so I will do that later tonight, I thought it best to send you back a report of my findings, and hope that it will be sorted when you can get back to work,  thank you Dan for all your replies to my post, it would be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same problem, take care my friend.

• Staff

Hi @stu 52 I thought I would reply on here as it's easier and not as restricted as FB. This does seem to be something unique in your setup as it's not something we've had any other reports of with the 1.8.2 update. Do you have any other apps running that may restrict ours in anyway, backup or firewall apps running or anything to do with permissions or restrictions? You can try creating a new admin user account in Windows, then try opening and using Photo.

Have you installed any other updates around the same time as our 1.8.2?

Hi Lee, no I had no other app running at the time I use Affinity Photo, it was just that I was using in the moment, I uninstalled the Affinity last night, and reinstalled just using the 1.8.0 Version of Affinity Photo and it works just fine Lee, so I will stick with that Version for now, I know it is not right that I cant upgrade, as long as can work with Affinity Photo for a while so I can catch up on the back load of images from my camera,  I do love Affinity Photo as it is the best so far for doing what I do, I work between Affinity and Luminar 4 for photos two great programmes and would not do without them, I am grateful for the feedback from Affinity staff, as I know that you are stuck at home too, and it is no fun, but I have all ways got my Iclone animation work to keep going also, if I can work with my texture between Affinity Photo and Iclone 7 then I am happy for now, I would have been stuck if I could not reinstall Affinity Photo, so I have it back even if it is only the 1.8.0 version Lee, I thank you for you time and Dan for the feedback.

Kind Regards stu 52 or Paul.  

• 1 year later...

the same problem, affinity photo doesnt load images

On windows 10 I7 8th gen 32 gb ram, I have uninstall and reinstall newer and older versions and i'm unable to eddit anything, in the task manager it shows a "crashpad_handler" every single time i try open new image.

Creating a new document doesnt trow an error.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

I bought Affinity Photo 1.9.x  two days ago. Installed it on my Windows 10 Pro, Intel it 16Gb memory Surface Pro.

I cannot even open a standard jpg image.

Keeps on displaying the message "Loading 1 document" at the top right hand corner of the screen. Cannot exit the program either. Have to use the windows task manager to kill the process.

Have tried rebooting and re-installing but to no avail. Still the same message. 

Note: I have Photoshop 2021 running without any issues. Trying to move away from photoshop.

Appreciate your urgent assistance.

Thanks

Gerard De Silva 

7 minutes ago, GerryDS said:

I bought Affinity Photo 1.9.x  two days ago. Installed it on my Windows 10 Pro, Intel it 16Gb memory Surface Pro.

I cannot even open a standard jpg image.

Keeps on displaying the message "Loading 1 document" at the top right hand corner of the screen. Cannot exit the program either. Have to use the windows task manager to kill the process.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Start Photo, and before doing anything else check your Photo Preferences (Edit > Preferences). In the Performance section, near the bottom, do you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled? If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Start Photo, and before doing anything else check your Photo Preferences (Edit > Preferences). In the Performance section, near the bottom, do you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled? If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

Many many thanks Walt. Yes it worked! Have a blessed day. Gerard 

• 2 months later...