You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to replicate this Photoshop tutorial in Photo?

Good Morning, FDK...

I saw the same video and was also dismayed to find out that AP does not have a Divide blend mode. I did a little reading, and it turns out that you can come pretty close to duplicating this by using Apply Image. I even tried to make all this into a macro (to make it less cumbersome) but could not manage it. Anyway, here's the process:

1) Create a new Pixel layer above the image with the Color Cast.

2) Sample an area on the original image that is supposed to be white (I used the part of her dress that was used in the video.)

3) Fill the empty pixel layer with that color.

4) With the solid color pixel layer selected, choose Apply Image...

5) Drag the original image layer into the Apply Image dialog so that it is that layer you're applying.

6) At the bottom of the Apply Image dialog, check the Equations box, and enter the following:

DR = 1 / (DR/SR)

DG = 1 / (DG/SG)

DB = 1 / (DB/SB)

DA = SA

7) Hit the Apply button.

91216714_DivdebyApplyImage.jpg.e0b72108662a5efea6da7ba242478a78.jpg

It's a cumbersome process, but it seems to work.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

43 minutes ago, smadell said:

DR = 1 / (DR/SR)

Mathematically, this is equivalent to DR=SR/DR. Is that the case in practice?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John... I always thought I was good at math, but I didn't catch that. Using DR=SR/DR and so forth certainly makes the typing easier. And the results are the same! Good catch.

FDK... If you have more than one layer, but all the layers above the image are adjustments, you could just put the pixel layer above the photo layer and do the Apply Image there. If you've got multiple layers with pixels on them, then doing a Merge Visible at the top of the stack would get you a summary photo to work on; put the filled pixel layer on top, just above the Merge Visible layer. That would work.

Murfee… Your method also seems to work. You must be better at math than all of us!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

There is an easier way

• Sample the area that should be white
  • Fill a new Pixel layer with the sampled colour
  • Invert the filled Pixel Layer with the Ctrl/Cmd I keyboard shortcut
  • Change the blend mode of the filled pixel layer to Colour Dodge

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted! ^-^

Still, I made a feature request to add Divide to Affinity as well. Just to make things easier. 🥳

For more flexibility :

• Add a fill layer and sample the colour you want
  • Add an invert layer above
  • Group those 2 layers
  • Put the group in mode Colour Dodge

This way, you can add a mask if needed to lessen the effect on some parts of the image and modify the fill layer colour*

Edited by Wosven
* added main use of the fill layer

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, Wosven said:
  • Group those 2 layers

Thank you! I was looking exactly to reproduce that tutorial. I was pretty sure that I could obtain the same result inverting the sampled color and applying another blending option, but as a novice in Affinity Photo I wasn't able to invert only the fill layer. I don't know why adding an adjustment as a child has no effect on fill layers. Grouping was the key.

For everyone else looking for color cast removal, the only missing part from the tutorial was to reproduce the behavior of the B slider in PS to bring back clipped details. If I'm not missing something (I can't exclude it), you cannot do it directly on Photo 'cause it uses an HSL method instead of the HSB. Raising the L (Lightness) value to the top brings the color to white, cancelling the effect. In HSB instead, raising the B (Brightness) value to the top, brightens the color to the maximum value allowed by hue and saturation. To keep it short, if you add and HSL adjustment  between the Fill layer and the Invert adjustment and check the HSV (which is the same as HSB) option, you can use the Luminosity shift as the B slider in Photoshop color panel. Raise it to 100% and you're good to go.