You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Losing linked resources in Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620

Hi All,

I work using a permanent addressed server, all files are held on the server and in the same folder for each project or if it is a shared resource, it is held in a permanent shared folder. Every time I reopen a project, ap message "missing Resource s". So I am spending time re linking the files, I am new to ap so I might be doing something stupid.

File server is shut down at night.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

One hint, if you have to relink, and all the linked files are in the same directory: When you open the document, and you get the prompt, do not respond Resource Manager; respond Yes. Then locate the first file. All the rest will be found automatically.

Next, a question: You say the file server is shut down at night. Are you also shutting down Publisher on your workstation? If not, you might try that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One hint, if you have to relink, and all the linked files are in the same directory: When you open the document, and you get the prompt, do not respond Resource Manager; respond Yes. Then locate the first file. All the rest will be found automatically.

Next, a question: You say the file server is shut down at night. Are you also shutting down Publisher on your workstation? If not, you might try that.

I was curious if Publisher would do this. In Indesign you have a box you can check to search for remaining links in the same folder. Would be smart if it works like this. I have no projects to try this out on myself. 

16 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Would be smart if it works like this.

It does, but not in the Resource Manager. Only in the dialog you get if you respond Yes to the prompt.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Hi Walt and thank you for the reply,

Bumped into the "Respond" bit by accident after posting and of course found that very useful. With regard to server and publisher, both are shut down at the end of the day. Work station first and then server last.

You're welcome.

It sounds as though when the server and workstation are restarted, you're getting something different in the path leading to the linked files.

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell

Hi Walt, done some digging and found the answer 🙂

We have 2 computers and 1 server. One pc was referencing the server by "Name" the other was referencing by "IP" . This meant the address url was different. Managed to get them both referencing by name and all is well.

Thank you and others on here, you have been a great help.

Best regards

Ian

You're welcome. And thanks for the research and letting us know the solution.

-- Walt
PC: