PatrickM

AD - Elliptical Gradient tool behaving like a radial one

Hi,

Issues with the gradient tool. When I modify an axis of the elliptical gradient tool, the other changes proportionally... meaning it is behaving like a radial one. No way to get it back. Well, I didn't close the document yet.

Also, the axis often disappear.

P.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver. 1909) - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Hi Farewell,

If what you are trying to do matches my GIF, hold down the left and right mouse buttons, click on one of the end points, move it. Once you are satisfied, release the left mouse button first to keep the new gradient look.

Gradient.gif

11 minutes ago, G13RL said:

If what you are trying to do matches my GIF, hold down the left and right mouse buttons, click on one of the end points, move it. Once you are satisfied, release the left mouse button first to keep the new gradient look.

Exactly that, thank you @G13RL ūüėČ New behaviour or bug ? I don't remember having to use both mouse buttons.to do that.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver. 1909) - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

There is a bug anyway : I've just selected 'radial' and I get 'elliptical' ūü§®

Yes, this behavior is strange. By applying the two mouse buttons on a radial it turns (visually) into an elliptical while remaining named radial. If you then switch to elliptical there is no visual change.
I always wondered why this behavior exists but I can live with it.

Hi Farewell,

By default the 'Maintain fill aspect ratio' is enabled on the context toolbar, so if you apply an Elliptical Fill to a square object, then it will look and behave as though it is Radial. If applied to a non square object then it will be elliptical, but still maintain the aspect ratio. Un-ticking this will allow you to manipulate the fill however you want. You can also tell the difference between the two as the Radial only has one handle, whereas the Elliptical has two.

56 minutes ago, Farewell said:

There is a bug anyway : I've just selected 'radial' and I get 'elliptical' ūü§®

Are you able to reproduce this? Are you doing what G13RL has mentioned? I've tried this myself and not getting this behaviour, it is applying the Radial gradient. However if I do what I believe G13RL is doing and holding the RMB button down to constrain, it is changing it to Elliptical, whilst still reading Radial which I think is incorrect. I'll get this logged.

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Farewell,

By default the 'Maintain fill aspect ratio' is enabled on the context toolbar, so if you apply an Elliptical Fill to a square object, then it will look and behave as though it is Radial. If applied to a non square object then it will be elliptical, but still maintain the aspect ratio. Un-ticking this will allow you to manipulate the fill however you want. You can also tell the difference between the two as the Radial only has one handle, whereas the Elliptical has two.

Are you able to reproduce this? Are you doing what G13RL has mentioned? I've tried this myself and not getting this behaviour, it is applying the Radial gradient. However if I do what I believe G13RL is doing and holding the RMB button down to constrain, it is changing it to Elliptical, whilst still reading Radial which I think is incorrect. I'll get this logged.

Hi Sean P,

1. Ok, I see. It was not a square object but does it matter ?...

2. Yes, it is reproducible.

Thanks,

Patrick

12 minutes ago, Farewell said:

Hi Sean P,

1. Ok, I see. It was not a square object but does it matter ?...

2. Yes, it is reproducible.

Thanks,

Patrick

With regards to your first point, it is just the 'Maintain aspect ratio' option being enabled, unticking this will allow you to resize each handle independently. It is still Elliptical, there are just use cases for both situations, so we give you the option.

With the second point are you able to attach a video recording that demonstrates the steps you're taking so we can attempt to reproduce it please?

6 minutes ago, Sean P said:

With regards to your first point, it is just the 'Maintain aspect ratio' option being enabled, unticking this will allow you to resize each handle independently. It is still Elliptical, there are just use cases for both situations, so we give you the option.

With the second point are you able to attach a video recording that demonstrates the steps you're taking so we can attempt to reproduce it please?

Of course but I don't do anything special. I just draw shapes (rectangular, elliptical) and I then apply various colour gradients. Sometimes, I get a radial gradient, sometimes an elliptic one.

With the current situation, I have a lot of work and AD is only a small part of it...  I'll do it as soon as I can.

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

I didn't have time to record but here it is :

radial.JPG

radial2.JPG

Hi PatrickM,
It's still a radial gradient but you have applied it before stretching the circle (shape). After stretching it the gradient becomes equally distorted thus the two axis you are seeing  - one of them dotted to indicate it has been distorted - usually it only has one solid axis. A true elliptical gradient is displayed as two solid axis.

@MEB, it is not necessary to deform a shape after applying the radial gradient for it to appear with three points. If a shape is not a perfect circle or a square for example, the gradient appears with three points, as in the @PatrickM example, for example for an egg shape already created to which a radial gradient is applied. However, the egg was not created from a circle, so there was no deformation before or after the gradient was applied.

Gradient_2.gif

The maintain fill aspect radio toolbar button must be an opt-IN - not opt-out - when "converting" a radial gradient to an elliptical gradient. It should be disabled in that scenario. Otherwise you get... a radial gradient.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Constraining the gradient handle of a Radial or Conical fill will skew the results) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform