Hi Affinity

As I work now 100 % in Photo, I miss one small but BIG feature Adobe had:

in the NEW dialogue you can choose, New from Clipboard. This is so extremely helpful and saves time a lot. 

I am aware of similar posts here, the difference here is, this feature should be within the new format-panel. Not in the flyout menu at „File > Xyz“

Maybe something for 2.0

Best!

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.5.703.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.610.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

@Pšenda @Joachim_L

As specified

5 hours ago, michaelokraj said:

I am aware of similar posts here, the difference here is, this feature should be within the new format-panel. Not in the flyout menu at „File > Xyz“

It is about the new NEW-Menu:

Screenshot 2020-03-30 15.10.10.png

3 minutes ago, michaelokraj said:

It is about the new NEW-Menu:

That was clear to me. What is the (your) benefit to have the option there, compared to File -> New from Clipboard or with the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Why should it be in the New dialog, whose purpose is to specify page size, margins, etc.?

The purpose of New from Clipboard is to produce something directly from the clipboard, not to have control beyond that. And why should it take additional clicks to get the document created, when it can be done with one using the File menu? (Or one keystroke using the keyboard shortcut.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

I also see no reason, why it should be "BIG feature", and "so extremely helpful and saves time a lot".

Maybe just a habit for Adobe users. That might be the only reason they could put it "also" in the New Form. But it has no advantage.

Edit: To make sense as part of the New Form, it would only have to take over the document's parameters in the clipboard (size, DPI, color model, ...), but not the content.

Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

to produce something directly from the clipboard, not to have control beyond that.

Like Copy + Paste, where any intermediate step is unnecessary and harmful.

Hey you pros

@Joachim_L

@walt.farrell

@Pšenda

Thank you (not) for the debate. Everybodys workflow/s are different. Why should your opinion be the standard one?
I also don't see no need to speculate if it is something for "adobe" users. What is the purpose of this sentense anyway??

It is crazy, that this forum becomes a new facebook, where everybody feels to comment and state their opnion – especially in a sub thread called "Feature Requests & Suggestions". This is MY suggestion. – There are other threads here for debating. 

23 minutes ago, mink said:

It is crazy, that this forum becomes a new facebook, where everybody feels to comment and state their opnion – especially in a sub thread called "Feature Requests & Suggestions". This is MY suggestion. – There are other threads here for debating. 

There are a number of reasons others may comment (or at least, that I comment) on feature requests. Among them:

• The request may not have clearly stated what is desired. (In the opinion of the user making the comment, of course. And that applies to all of these.)
  • The request may not have clearly stated the benefit of making the change.

(Both of the above are important to ensure that Serif, when considering the request, has all the appropriate data to work with.)

• Someone may seriously object to the proposal, as it will interfere with their workflow. (Again, important for Serif to know.)

• The user making the request may have overlooked an existing implementation of the function they're asking for. Many users asking for functions are new to the product, and have simply not realized the function is already there.

• The user may not be aware of workarounds that exist, which might help them while Serif considers the function they've asked for. And the user may not realize (especially if new to the products) that a request might take years to be implemented, even if Serif agrees with it.

I am not saying that any of these are necessarily applicable to the request you made in this topic. But I hope they will help clarify why others might interject comments and viewpoints when you weren't expecting anyone else to comment.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

On 3/30/2020 at 3:18 PM, walt.farrell said:

Why should it be in the New dialog, whose purpose is to specify page size, margins, etc.?

The purpose of New from Clipboard is to produce something directly from the clipboard, not to have control beyond that. And why should it take additional clicks to get the document created, when it can be done with one using the File menu? (Or one keystroke using the keyboard shortcut.)

Just to specify one workflow when beeing a shortcut poweruser and coming to their limitations: 

it happens quite often, I need to take screenshots or other things in the clipboard relevant to the function of "new from cb" and then adjusting it to my format / color / grid / margin rules. so to avoid those "extra clicks" it is a time saver to prepare the meal in the kitchen and not at the dinner table afterwards. 

some functions are f.e. chage the color mode, adjust the dpi, transform the margins, change the adjustments, … to do this afterwards going to mostly at least 2 different menus (it depends if i am in AP or AD/AF) is quite annoying. 

I am working in all 3 apps and between the analogue and digital media. so there are quite complex outcomes and to have the control at the beginning of the document and not after it is created is quite handy / sometimes crucial (as one forgets quickly to make those edits). – the preflight in AP helped to avoid that, i have to admit.

I hope I could give you one idea of how others here maybe work. 

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are a number of reasons others may comment (or at least, that I comment) on feature requests. Among them:

• The request may not have clearly stated what is desired. (In the opinion of the user making the comment, of course. And that applies to all of these.)
  • The request may not have clearly stated the benefit of making the change.

(Both of the above are important to ensure that Serif, when considering the request, has all the appropriate data to work with.)

• Someone may seriously object to the proposal, as it will interfere with their workflow. (Again, important for Serif to know.)

• The user making the request may have overlooked an existing implementation of the function they're asking for. Many users asking for functions are new to the product, and have simply not realized the function is already there.

• The user may not be aware of workarounds that exist, which might help them while Serif considers the function they've asked for. And the user may not realize (especially if new to the products) that a request might take years to be implemented, even if Serif agrees with it.

I am not saying that any of these are necessarily applicable to the request you made in this topic. But I hope they will help clarify why others might interject comments and viewpoints when you weren't expecting anyone else to comment.

I agree to all what you are saying. BUT: it is the way the people here start to discuss things, not asking or specifing, not interested on the idea itself. it is a tone of those "knows-it-alls" who lack of rhetorical and emapthic qualities / skills. 

if you have nothing to say, say nothing – i live by that. if you want a disussion, be intersted in the other side and don't close the communication with your passive aggressive tone from the beginning.

I am working since the 90s with those tools. it is not that i am stuck in those workflows but I observe things, that might others help, too. judging by those comments I assume, the folks here established already for the whole community: there is only ONE way. and this one is theirs. how arrogant!

1 hour ago, mink said:

Hey you pros

@Joachim_L

@walt.farrell

@Pšenda

Thank you (not) for the debate. Everybodys workflow/s are different. Why should your opinion be the standard one?
I also don't see no need to speculate if it is something for "adobe" users. What is the purpose of this sentense anyway??

Hey you, where did I say that my opinion should be standard? I was curious about YOUR benefit about your idea. I don't like your tone, but I can live with that. Good luck. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, mink said:

some functions are f.e. chage the color mode, adjust the dpi, transform the margins, change the adjustments,

If I understand correctly, then you request what I mentioned earlier in my post as a reason why it would be appropriate to take over the parameters of the document (not its content). 

On 3/30/2020 at 5:36 PM, Pšenda said:

Edit: To make sense as part of the New Form, it would only have to take over the document's parameters in the clipboard (size, DPI, color model, ...), but not the content.

If you read your request carefully (first post), you can't even sense this described functionality from it.

So personally, I think that this damn dabate only helped you and your request. It is expected that unclear and inaccurate requirements will not have a great chance of implementation.

A belayed THANK YOU 👍🏻 to the Affinity Team for implementing that small but big feature. So good to work with that shortcut and and menuitem in Photo / Designer while working between f.e. Sketch / Vectornator and Affinity – seeing the Suite as the main hub, this tiny feature is a time saver. 💪🏻