You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invert vector mask - Affinity Designer

Hi all :-) Is there any way to make an invert vector mask in AD

I have a kind of "complex" design.. in two layers. One for the outline and one for the shadowing lines. The client wants this in the two separate layers.. anyway, the outline is a lot of lines, and most of them are not attached to each other, so to make a fill is not an option in this case.. at least not for now :-) 

The shadowing lines is.. yes as you see.. lots of lines, but they go under the outlines, and looks kind of messy one the oultines is not seen.. so I would like to remove all that is not necessary, just so it will look more clean.. 

I know the pictures id from the iPad, but I use AD for both iPad and Mac.. a pixel mask in not an option, as this will be laser engraved. 

The final design

IMG_1582.jpg.17a85479e52aa9d72b577a7fa08af908.jpg

Only the outline..

IMG_1583.jpg.0e7019601b138dd3e93a9dc9414d677c.jpg

The shadow lines

IMG_1584.jpg.70e5bf693a95a01619811d47c4cab79c.jpg

This is the shadowing masked with the outline, so it is these parts I would like to have removed from the shadowing lines.. 

IMG_1585.thumb.jpg.2c4b8d81540378902bf959457b1b0565.jpg

I’m not entirely sure what you want or, possibly more importantly, why.
Maybe I’m just being thrown off by the phrase “invert vector mask”.
Do you want to remove the parts of the shadow lines which intersect with the outline lines – which could probably be done by expanding the strokes and using the Geometry functions – or something else?
Would you be able to supply a more basic version of what you are trying to do? That might make it easier for us to figure out what you want.

Thanks for your reply Garry! 🙂 Yea, It was maybe not very good explained.. 

Yes, that's exactly what I want.. to remove the shadow lines which intersect with the outline lines, but still keep the shadow lines on it's own layer. As I have to send the client two layers.. one with the outlines as expanded, and one with the shadow lines, as expanded, but if possible to remove the shadow lines which intersect with the outline. 🙂 If that made more sense.. 

I said invert vector mask because in pixel, I could use the outline as a mask to hide the shadow lines which intersect with the outline lines, but as I understand, in vector, or in affinity anyway, it works the opposite? If I use the outline as a mask, I will only see the parts I want to remove 🙂 

Any tips on how to do this, kind of easy? 🙂

Ah, I think I see now; that makes it clearer.

I managed to so something simple by duplicating the shadows, expanding both the shadows and the outlines, and then using a Geometry Subtract to remove the intersection but the curves are no longer editable as single curves, which isn’t a perfect solution to me (see attached video). I would like to be able to keep all the curves editable (as single curves rather than expanded strokes) but I don’t know if that’s possible. I don’t usually do this sort of precision line work so I’m probably not the best person to advise.

I’ll keep thinking about it but you may need someone who knows more about what they’re doing to come up with a proper solution, if there is one.

Hey, that worked pretty cool! 🙂 Thanks a lot! I´ll try to send this off to the client and see how it can work.. 

I see I have to do some adjustments first, but that's alright 🙂

I know what you mean by keeping the lines, but I´ll duplicate it all and save it in a group in case I need to do some adjustments after.. and in that case do the process again.. I'm a hand engraver, so I don't know much about laser, but learning.. 🙂

Thanks a lot, hope you are all safe from the virus thing! Here in Spain it's a total closedown now, so I have some time to be creative.. at least it's something 🙂

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 15.28.02.png