You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shared assets and brushes

We need to be able to install Assets & Brushes to one location and then access them all in all 3 apps. Having 3 copies and taking up extra room on the HD is silly.

We could have a manger for each app to enable/disable them but one install location. Also, you wouldn't have to go through the process of installing them 3 times.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just an amateur playing around with the apps.

But what I very soon realised was that it is very annoying and complicated to have a different asset library for Photo and Designer.

For example: I am in Designer and find some cool vectors from the "Stock" => put them to assets, cool. But then I also find an image which are more suitable for me being used in Photo => now I have to start Photo and manually copy the image to Photo to put it into the Assets there. => Annoying

I think already having the categories and subcategories in Assets, it might be preferable to have one single Asset library for all apps.

+1

I often switch between laptops and tablets and would love to be able to install once and it replicate across all apps (Photo, Publisher & Designer) and all devices automatically. For me, the wishlist would be:

• Folders and projects (sub-folders would be great too)
  • Brushes
  • Palettes
  • Symbols
  • Assets
  • Fonts

I have all 3 apps installed, in both retail and beta versions. Keeping 6 copies of everything in sync is simply ridiculous!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, ls008 said:

+1

I often switch between laptops and tablets and would love to be able to install once and it replicate across all apps (Photo, Publisher & Designer) and all devices automatically. For me, the wishlist would be:

• Folders and projects (sub-folders would be great too)
  • Brushes
  • Palettes
  • Symbols
  • Assets
  • Fonts

I will be having to use my laptop for an indefinite length of time instead of my beloved desktop. When I think about all of the brushes, fonts and assets that I've added on my desktop, I feel sick thinking about having to duplicate all of this work on my laptop. Is there a way that I can copy over these downloaded brushes, fonts and assets to my laptop?

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

10 hours ago, ACDesignStudio said:

I will be having to use my laptop for an indefinite length of time instead of my beloved desktop. When I think about all of the brushes, fonts and assets that I've added on my desktop, I feel sick thinking about having to duplicate all of this work on my laptop. Is there a way that I can copy over these downloaded brushes, fonts and assets to my laptop?

Assuming they are both Windows or both Mac, you can probably make a backup of the "user" folder on the laptop (for safety), then copy the "user" folder from the desktop to the laptop. The FAQ below tells where to find the folder. That will cover all the Affinity files such as brushes and assets. 

There may be some other useful folders in the same location as "user", but I have never tried copying them. (If you do try it, remember to back up the laptop versions first.)

Note that this will not handle fonts, as fonts are managed by the system (or your Fonts Manager, if any), not by the Affinity applications,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Assuming they are both Windows or both Mac, you can probably make a backup of the "user" folder on the laptop (for safety), then copy the "user" folder from the desktop to the laptop. 

I had a similar situation a few months back (except going the other way; laptop to desktop). I just copied the user folders from appdata and it worked perfectly.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad