You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity softwares don't know the opening location of the files

affinity softwares don't know the location of the opened files!

because of this, I can't connect eg. 3d softwares to Affinity as external editor, because after it opens up the file, for example a psd, it can't resave to the original location, because affinity doesn't know it, and the 3d application also doesn't add info about the location of these temporary files.

So I stand here with a temporary file, and I can't save it back.

50 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Tick "Enable Save over opened PSD files" in preferences and you can just simple save over the old version as long as you do not apply any Affinity's own nondestructive operations to that file.

And as long as there's no text that you need to keep editable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:24 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Which 3D software? Where does it save the file in question? Where is the expected location? Is this a fault with Affinity or the 3D software? Could do with a bit more information here...

3d Coat, Maya, and all the others. I have to browse the 'expected location' even if I know that it is a temp folder somewhere.
But setting 'Enable save over opened PSD files ' solves it.

I don't think it is a faulty behavior, that's why I am here in the feature request section.

But to be honest, in lots of other cases it is an annoyance, that if I drag a file into affinity, I have to copy paste the path from explorer, because affinity doesn't know where the file is, if it is not an afdesign file.
the default save location is not where the file is!
so if I have a png or svg file, the least problematic way is to save it as an afdesign file, and then save in other formats. But for example svg is a source file in itself, so I really don't need an afdesign file from it.

4 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

for example svg is a source file in itself

Only the Affinity document file format is native to the Affinity applications.

Saving in any other format can result in lost information, layers of various types being rasterized, etc.

That includes Photoshop (PSD) files, which is why that option in preferences is off by default.

When you create a document in the Affinity products starting with any other file format, you are creating a new Affinity document and copying that source object into it.  You are NOT saving a newer version of the original object, but rather a new Affinity document whose contents include a copy of whatever it was you started with.

From that perspective, the path of the original object has no particular meaning.