You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing Confused

I have a Nikon D 850. It shoots 45 meg pix shots. I have a printer that prints a maximum of 17”x22”.

How do I crop/resize the photo to 17”x22” without resampling or losing resolution.

Thank you for your time and help. 

When you load one of your photos into Affinity Photo, @TRF, what do you see for the pixel dimensions? E.g., for my camera I see 4948 x 3280px.

When it's finished developing, what are the px dimensions and DPI?

Presumably you mean 17x22 inches for the print size. Is that borderless, or will there be a border/margin, and if so what size?

And why don't you want to resample?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I see 8256x5504 this is after I exit the photo in AP. It is the same when I look at it in Apple photo.

i do not want to down grade the image. I would rather keep it at the maximum resolution. That is why I do not want to resample.

Yes the photo would be boardless 17”x22”

21 minutes ago, TRF said:

I see 8256x5504 this is after I exit the photo in AP. It is the same when I look at it in Apple photo.

i do not want to down grade the image. I would rather keep it at the maximum resolution. That is why I do not want to resample.

Yes the photo would be boardless 17”x22”

If we were to assume you're going to have a 300dpi document for printing (a reasonable resolution for photo images), then 8256x5504 would be 27.55 x 18.35 inches (approximately).

In any case, 8256x5504 is an aspect ratio of 1.5 to 1, while 22x17 is an aspect ratio of 1.29 to 1. As the aspect ratios do not match you will need to make a tradeoff and decision about how to proceed.

Assuming we're talking about landscape mode, you can keep the complete width of the image, and print it on 22" paper borderless, but the height will only be 13.57" (approximately), giving you a top and bottom margin (or border or whitespace) of about 1.75" each.

Or, if you need borders on the right and left, you'll have larger top and bottom borders.

Alternatively, you can crop your image to fit a 1.29 to 1 aspect ratio, and you could get borderless printing, or any consistent set of left/right/top/bottom borders you wanted.

So, what do you want to end up with? That will determine what/how you crop/resize.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If we were to assume you're going to have a 300dpi document for printing (a reasonable resolution for photo images), then 8256x5504 would be 27.55 x 18.35 inches (approximately).

In any case, 8256x5504 is an aspect ratio of 1.5 to 1, while 22x17 is an aspect ratio of 1.29 to 1. As the aspect ratios do not match you will need to make a tradeoff and decision about how to proceed.

Assuming we're talking about landscape mode, you can keep the complete width of the image, and print it on 22" paper borderless, but the height will only be 13.57" (approximately), giving you a top and bottom margin (or border or whitespace) of about 1.75" each.

Or, if you need borders on the right and left, you'll have larger top and bottom borders.

Alternatively, you can crop your image to fit a 1.29 to 1 aspect ratio, and you could get borderless printing, or any consistent set of left/right/top/bottom borders you wanted.

So, what do you want to end up with? That will determine what/how you crop/resize.

Thank you for such a great answer.

You're welcome. More-specific suggestions are available if you can provide more information about the desired end result :)

(And resampling during the cropping operation can be a useful way to get good results, by the way. Again, depending on what kind of output is needed.)

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, TRF said:

How do I crop/resize the photo to 17”x22” without resampling

Just turn off Resample if resizing. I don’t think cropping does any resampling. Just reduces the canvas so you display less of the image ie. lossless (unless you rasterise and trim) in which case the area outside the canvas is removed. You’re left with less pixels but not resampled. Mind you I could be completely wrong about how it actually works.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome. More-specific suggestions are available if you can provide more information about the desired end result :)

(And resampling during the cropping operation can be a useful way to get good results, by the way. Again, depending on what kind of output is needed.)

Well, I am trying to make the best High resolution sharpest prints that I can on my Cannon printer. The largest it can print is 22”x17” and as you mentioned is not the same ratio of my camera. I have been using the crop tool under custom ratio to try and get the correct print size. I just enter 22x17 in the ratio boxes/circles.  I guess this is the best way.

i have also tried the resize command. With a resample rate of 324 (The maximum resolution of my Photo vertically) And 17” for the height.

When I use to use Photoshop and I did resampling; I noticed the sharpness of the image would sometimes degrade Slightly. I have been trying to avoid this situation.

Thank you very much for your time and help.