You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merge iPad OS and macOS development

So, we have Metal API available on macOS for a few years(Affinity is already using it). With Catalina we got Catalyst, which makes it relatively easy to port iPad apps to macOS and develop them from the same code base. What I've heard it's not as easy as Apple claims(it never is), but I bet it will get better, very soon. Now, we got a full mouse, trackpad, and keyboard support for iPads. A mouse needs a bit of improvement, but trackpad and keyboard are working almost flawlessly. Most importantly, Designer and Photo work pretty decently if we keep in mind that support has been released just recently. Lastly, per various reliable sources, Apple is pushing hard to switch low and mid-range Macs to ARM chips, and it looks like that the first device might even come by the end of this year.

With all the above said I think that it's more than evident that Serif should cut "old" mac apps development and focus solely on iPad versions; of course, they will be mac versions as well. Serif will be able with the same resources to deliver new features faster and keep quality higher than it can do now. That will result in more users undoubtedly, which will result in more money. And more money will again allow Serif to expand the team and improve products even faster. It's a win-win situation in my eyes, and I wouldn't wait a day more to make a transition. No point in delivering a single feature update to the "old" Mac apps, it will be just wasted resources.

Put current Mac apps in maintenance mode and start porting iPad apps to Mac. What do you guys think?

7 hours ago, Vladimir Krstic said:

What do you guys think?

I think that would be absolutely horrible and there would be nothing useful gained from it.

The iPad apps have a completely different UI and for good reason: interacting with an iPad is quite different from interacting with a Mac.

There is very likely a LOT of common code between them already so I don't think this would be of any real benefit at all.

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

The iPad apps have a completely different UI and for good reason: interacting with an iPad is quite different from interacting with a Mac.

Of course, UI should adapt to the device... or to user's preference since iPad can use both experiences right now. Very soon we will have 27" iPad. macOS will either meet iPad OS halfway or will die out. So if apps want to stay relevant on both platforms will have to have adaptable UX. Right now maybe it's a lot easier for Serif to keep doing things the old way? Developers could tell more? But they will have to provide adaptable UX at some point. I'd say that making a cut sooner is better than later.  

3 hours ago, Vladimir Krstic said:

iPad can use both experiences right now.

Far from it.

Very soon we will have 27" iPad.

That would need to be a very niche product.  Not practical for most real computer users.

macOS will either meet iPad OS halfway or will die out

If macOS "dies out" I would be looking for another real operating system (Linux most likely for what is available at this point), not converting over to a closed-off tablet OS.  The more macOS behaves like an iPad the less useful it is for getting many types of real work done (particularly in the realm of software development).

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Far from it.

It's not perfect, or simply you don't like it but it does. 

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

That would need to be a very niche product.  Not practical for most real computer users.

Yes, for designers and artists would be perfect. Thing is Serif is making software for the designers. What's a real computer user? What real computer user wants? Once it was CLI. 

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

The more macOS behaves like an iPad the less useful it is for getting many types of real work done (particularly in the realm of software development).

What's a real work? Once it was filling in spreadsheets. Speaking of software development, iPad will get better file management, all the CLIs,  IDEs, code editors, etc. It won't be this iPad OS we have right now that will replace mac OS. But one that can be both, as user prefers.

1 hour ago, Vladimir Krstic said:

What's a real computer user?

People who use real computers (meaning non-Microsoft platforms that are open platforms and do not limit users to a single app store).

There are code editors on iPad now, but they are crippled by the app store rules.

I don't ever see the iPad being opened up to non-app-store installs, in which case it will never replace the Mac for me.