You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is lock/unlock all & hide/show all so hard to add?

Zox great tip I been doing that one as well for a while, it's a great old Skool trick; I also served 20 years or so in adobe's photoshop maximum security penitentiary

:D  :D   :D

Cheers! 

It's great to see MattP's enthusiasm and his feedback here.

I wish there was the same enthusiasm when it comes to making Affinity Photo stable.

I don't like to whine, but some days it's really hard, like today: every time I edit a photo I get a crash. And after only two or three layers of work.

It crashed already 5 times in the past 30 min, and considered performance is not great either, it's a lot of time spent on doing very little, is not productive at all.

It really becomes a sort of fate to keep working with it, and despite I love Affinity, at times it gets hard to have fate.

I can't help but feel left behind when I see features getting a positive response from the devs, or resources being assigned to something like the iPad version.

Sorry for the OT and the rant, I don't usually do it. I'll try to keep it quite.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Doing so is inefficient compared to the way it is done in Illustrator.

Again, Illustrator is not the program to emulate. Illustrator's treatment for locking and unlocking of objects is one of its many competitive weaknesses compared to its historic rival, FreeHand:

Locked objects should not be unselectable. Making locked objects unselectable is the problem which then requires adding such ill-conceived command as "Lock All" and "Unlock All."

Locked objects should be selectable. That way, whatever is currently selected can be either locked or unlocked by those two straightforward commands. That way, the two commands work in conjunction with Select All. And making locked objects selectable also serves as an intuitive mechanism by which to specify the so-called "key object" for alignment and distribution commands (yet another goofy interface problem with Illustrator).

Why anyone would want to always have to unlock everything that is locked, just to manipulate a single locked object is beyond me. In FreeHand and other programs, a locked object can still be selected; it just can't be moved or manipulated until it is unlocked. So you can simply select the object of interest, and if it's locked, unlock just it. No digging through a ridiculously long objects list in a so-called Layers palette. (In FreeHand, the Layers palette was a list of (...wait for it...) layers.)

All that's needed is a subtle modification of the way the selection handles of a locked object are displayed. (They can be grayed, or changed to Xs instead of squares, etc.)

Countless newcomers to Adobe Illustrator have struggled with such goofball elements of its needlessly cumbersome and confused interface for decades. Other programs conforming to it, just because of its market position, is one of the ways Illustrator has effectively kept vector drawing development in the doldrums.

JET

All that's needed is a subtle modification of the way the selection handles of a locked object are displayed. (They can be grayed, or changed to Xs instead of squares, etc.)

The selection handles of a locked object are already displayed as Xs. All that's needed is to make such an object selectable on the canvas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Again, Illustrator is not the program to emulate. Illustrator's treatment for locking and unlocking of objects is one of its many competitive weaknesses compared to its historic rival, FreeHand:

JET,

I'm sorry but I think you either misread what I wrote or you misunderstood what I was talking about. I didn't say that Designer should do exactly what Illustrator does. Here is what I wrote after the short quote from me that you posted "I'm not saying that Designer needs to be exactly like Illustrator but as it is now the method that you have to use in Designer is horribly inefficient. It is more efficient to be able to do things directly on the artboard (or canvas) rather than having to mouse over (tiresome on a big screen) to the Layers Panel and select or unselect things". My whole point was I was requesting for the ability to do things with key commands on objects selected on the artboard or canvas without having to go to the Layers panel (which wastes time). I think that is what you are wanting to, isn't it? I have always wondered why a "Hide/Show All" wasn't added to more programs as it is a huge timesaver and it would greatly improve my efficiency with Designer.  

You can't agrue that the way of isolating things in Illustrator is miles ahead of Designer in terms of efficiency because Designer doesn't really have anyway to isolate things (sure there is one way but it pales in comparison to how you can isolate things in Illustrator). No doubt there were good things about Freehand but things move on and I imagine that Illustrator has progressed to be more efficient than Freehand was. My main complaint is everything in Designer requires a trip to the Layers Panel which is inefficient. If want to hide something in Illustrator then a simple key command will do it. I agree that being able to unlock individual objects could have advantages but still an Unlock All command is very useful in many situations. 

It is funny that you said "Countless newcomers to Adobe Illustrator have struggled with such goofball elements of its needlessly cumbersome and confused interface for decades. Other programs conforming to it, just because of its market position, is one of the ways Illustrator has effectively kept vector drawing development in the doldrums.", because I felt quite the opposite. I didn't care for Freehand at all and apparently neither did the masses or else Freehand might still be around. 

Hokusai

• 3 years later...

please add the "unlock all" function, I don't have time to search the project layers and unlock objects one by one. I don't know what the point is at this point in the "unlock all" function, since you still have to search and manually unlock objects.

1 hour ago, Kamil said:

please add the "unlock all" function, I don't have time to search the project layers and unlock objects one by one.

You don’t lock objects without good reason, do you? Unlocking them en masse sounds a bit risky!

1 hour ago, Kamil said:

I don't know what the point is at this point in the "unlock all" function

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Did you mean to write something else here? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Kamil said:

please add the "unlock all" function

Layer > Unlock All
Not sure if it's a "feature" or a bug, but you must unselect all objects first to make it work right away.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2