You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML Global Font Colour Change Error

I am having to move all my black/white stamp albums from Adobe CS5.  Initially I saved them to PDF and then opened them in Publisher only to find that the formatting and positioning of text had globally changed (left justified instead of centred etc etc).   The introduction of IDML import could save me hundreds of hours since it correctly retains the format and layout of every page.  My documents are simply albums using only black text, single font, mainly centred within text boxes to describe what is positioned above the text box   A simple thin black line rectangle is positioned above each text box to indicate the position of the content of the album page (postage stamps).  On opening the IDML files in Affinity Publisher I find that whilst the format and layouts of my text boxes and frames have all been retained correctly, all text within every text box has changed to a grey scale, that is,  is no longer black. Moreover I have found that if I copy imported spreads from one document to another, the text line spacing changes and I have to reset the leading on every text box?  I have several hundreds of pages per album and 20 or so albums to convert.  

Is there a simple way to globally reset the default font colour to black on every text box on every spread  so that it propagates  throughout the album?

2 hours ago, tonyri said:

I am having to move all my black/white stamp albums from Adobe CS5.  Initially I saved them to PDF and then opened them in Publisher only to find that the formatting and positioning of text had globally changed (left justified instead of centred etc etc).   The introduction of IDML import could save me hundreds of hours since it correctly retains the format and layout of every page.  My documents are simply albums using only black text, single font, mainly centred within text boxes to describe what is positioned above the text box   A simple thin black line rectangle is positioned above each text box to indicate the position of the content of the album page (postage stamps).  On opening the IDML files in Affinity Publisher I find that whilst the format and layouts of my text boxes and frames have all been retained correctly, all text within every text box has changed to a grey scale, that is,  is no longer black. Moreover I have found that if I copy imported spreads from one document to another, the text line spacing changes and I have to reset the leading on every text box?  I have several hundreds of pages per album and 20 or so albums to convert.  

Is there a simple way to globally reset the default font colour to black on every text box on every spread  so that it propagates  throughout the album?

Hello @tonyri and welcome to the forum.

I think the first step to solve this is to analyse why the colour changed. It would be worth looking at an album in CS5 and check what the text settings are, especially the colour and the colour space of the document. You could also check if you have the same paragraph style applied to all text.

Then, with the IDML file in APub you can look at these settings to find out, why black appears grey. It is completely unclear if this is cause by a bug in the IDML-import or perhaps by some setting that get's wrongly interpretated in APub. Make sure that the settings in APub and CS5 are as similar as possible.

Ideally you would have all the text assigned with the same text style and you could change the colour accordingly. This should fix it everywhere.

Or you could do a 'Find and Replace' across the whole document and search for text with the wrong colour and replace it with black.

Maybe some of this helps?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi Dominik - thank you for your quick response. All text boxes have the same attributes across all albums and all spreads in CS5.  Thankfully, as you mentioned, I have found that I can search and replace the text attributes to restore the colour back to black and so have been saved from hours of editing.  I am most grateful that I can continue to develop and maintain my albums in Affinity and the recent inclusion of IDML has made the job so much easier

Thanks again

25 minutes ago, tonyri said:

Thankfully, as you mentioned, I have found that I can search and replace the text attributes to restore the colour back to black and so have been saved from hours of editing.  I am most grateful that I can continue to develop and maintain my albums in Affinity and the recent inclusion of IDML has made the job so much easier

Hi @tonyri,

glad to hear that this was solved so easily.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil