You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend Options Fail with Live Filters.

Not sure if this is a known thing or if I'm just seeing it for the first time.

MacBook Pro, running OS 10.14.6. 32gb RAM, Affinity Photo 1.8.2.

When blending a layer using "Blend Options" this layer's blend is ignored once a life filter (gaussian blur) is applied. Nothing I do seems to correct this. Also, if you click on "Preserve Alpha" then turn it off... it doesn't actually turn it off and remains as though it was still on.

Thoughts?

Hi @DannyBCreative, I am using the latest beta and this is working as normal, I think it will be released soon. 

You could try it now, normally betas are for testing but this round has been bug fixing and Serif are recommending to use it rather than the release version if it fixes any errors that you are experiencing. It will work alongside the release version which you will need to keep installed for the beta to work.

9 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Hi @DannyBCreative, I am using the latest beta and this is working as normal, I think it will be released soon. 

Blend Options is still broken for objects that have a nested live filter in beta 1.8.3.178.

Preserve Alpha of live Gaussian Blur is functional, though.

9 hours ago, DannyBCreative said:

Not sure if this is a known thing or if I'm just seeing it for the first time.

MacBook Pro, running OS 10.14.6. 32gb RAM, Affinity Photo 1.8.2.

When blending a layer using "Blend Options" this layer's blend is ignored once a life filter (gaussian blur) is applied. Nothing I do seems to correct this. Also, if you click on "Preserve Alpha" then turn it off... it doesn't actually turn it off and remains as though it was still on.

Thoughts?

Preserve Alpha on/off in live filters seems to be correct in beta 1.8.3.178, but broken Blend Options is a known bug that is still in beta 1.8.3.178.

Hi @anon2, I see what you mean, I added a blur layer after I had changed the blend ranges and it worked as expected, possibly because I was also using blend modes and combining multiple layers, I did get the result I was looking for. Probably more luck than judgement.

Just had another look and further changes to blend ranges have no effect with the blur layer in place. More caffeine needed 😀

7 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Hi @anon2, I see what you mean, I added a blur layer after I had changed the blend ranges and it worked as expected, possibly because I was also using blend modes and combining multiple layers, I did get the result I was looking for.

Just had another look and further changes to blend ranges have no effect with the blur layer in place. More caffeine needed 😀

A workaround is to enclose the object (which has a nested live filter) in a Group and use the blend options of the Group. Note that the Blend Gamma control has no effect on a Passthrough mode Group, though.

Just now, anon2 said:

A workaround is to enclose the object (which has a nested live filter) in a Group and use the blend options of the Group. Note that the Blend Gamma control has no effect on a Passthrough mode Group, though.

That is what I was doing, normal workflow for me...I always change the group blend mode as passthrough can have some undesirable effects with masks for me as well.

42 minutes ago, Murfee said:

That is what I was doing, normal workflow for me...I always change the group blend mode as passthrough can have some undesirable effects with masks for me as well.

Passthrough in Affinity apps has always been fundamentally dysfunctional, anyway, in the almost three years that I've used the apps, although Serif employees have repeatedly told us that the behaviour is "by design". I think Serif people uses the phrase "by design" to mean that the behaviour is a consequence of the software design rather than the behaviour being deliberately designed to be as it is.

Thanks guys. Since the bug seems to persist in the latest beta as anon2 mentioned, I won't take the time. For now I'll just have to wait and hope that it's fixed in a future release. Unfortunately, it's issues like these that continue to prevent me from using Serif products in place of errr... you know who. I am hopeful though and will check in with future versions, once released.

I appreciate the feedback!