You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some initial thoughts

I know a few of these have been addressed elsewhere, but my initial thoughts on playing with this very good program.

1. Deselect is hidden away, it takes two clicks. Such an incredibly common action should appear in the menu bar for the Selection portion

2. Clicking the edge goes to full screen, hiding all the tools and such. However, it is so easy to hit this when trying to use one of those tools/boxes. I find myself constantly frustrated by how easily this happens.

3. Why no undo/redo button available? When working with the Pencil, having to switch to finger taps for this feature is not ideal. I'm so used to Procreate and other tools that have this along with the gestures, and the lack is glaring to me when I work in Photo.

The rest, I believe, is teething pains and learning curves. I'm really pleased overall.

1. Long-press anywhere on the screen to invoke a context menu which includes a ‘Deselect’ option.

2. Clicking on which edge? The tools only disappear for me if I tap on the ’Hide UI’ button.

3. Tap on the ‘Preferences’ gearwheel in the top right-hand corner of the home screen, tap on ‘Interface’ on the next screen and then enable ‘Show Undo and Redo buttons’. Tap ‘Done’ to return to the home screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

1. Long-press anywhere on the screen to invoke a context menu which includes a ‘Deselect’ option.

yes but... still extra work for a top level action. And i find that sometimes the press hold reads as a tap, maybe something to do with iPad Pro responsiveness issues (lotsa discussion on this one in Apple boards)

2. Clicking on which edge? The tools only disappear for me if I tap on the ’Hide UI’ button

Don’t know why, but I often get the hide UI if click near the top edge with the pencil. On further experimentation it seems to happen with pencil but not finger. If I tap either if the first two top icons (the two with ellipses) and then click again on another of the icons this happens. So as you learn and search around for different things, it happens. A LOT for me.  

3. Tap on the ‘Preferences’ gearwheel in the top right-hand corner of the home screen, tap on ‘Interface’ on the next screen and then enable ‘Show Undo and Redo buttons’. Tap ‘Done’ to return to the home screen.

bless you