You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sending layers to a Stack or Focus stack

43 minutes ago, Lusco Fusco said:

Is it possible to send from a document a number of layers you are working with directly to stack, (or focus stacking, or Pano, or hdr ...) without having to export them first and then create a stack?

You can create a stack from a set of layers. Select them in in the Layers panel, then Arrange > Live Stack Group. I'm not sure if that will work for what you want to do, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can create a stack from a set of layers. Select them in in the Layers panel, then Arrange > Live Stack Group. I'm not sure if that will work for what you want to do, though.

Thank you, I had overlooked this. This fixes the theme for simple stacking.

Not so for focus stacking.  I have a series of macro images of dew drops on blades of grass, in which they are slightly moved from each other by the wind. This makes the result not ideal.
  If I stack them, with automatic alignment, ungroup and export them (one by one), and upload them to focus stacking, the result improves.
  So I was wondering if i could send them directly, after ungrouping and cropping,to focus stacking without exporting them.
  Or, failing that, how to export all layers at once, so that each layer, now aligned and cropped, would give rise to a separate tif file.

3 minutes ago, Lusco Fusco said:

Or, failing that, how to export all layers at once, so that each layer, now aligned and cropped, would give rise to a separate tif file.

Ungroup the stack. Then switch to the Export Persona. In the Layers panel, select all the layers and click "Create Slice" icon at the bottom. In the Slices panel you may want to deselect the top slice, but the others should give you the files you want. You may need to pick the appropriate export presets.

Creating Slices Tutorial

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Lusco Fusco said:

If I stack them, with automatic alignment, ungroup and export them (one by one), and upload them to focus stacking, the result improves.

Why can you not simply call File > New Focus Stack and tick the box to align the images?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

19 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Why can you not simply call File > New Focus Stack and tick the box to align the images?

As Lusco Fusco mentioned, New Focus Merge... doesn't have an Align function. That's only in New Stack.

-- Walt
PC:

I have not used the Affinity Focus Stack for some time, but I recall that there used to be an Align option. Perhaps it was in 1.5 or 1.6, or is it my imagination?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630