You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very Basic Beginner question about Raster Illustration

Hi,

Newbie question: I am new to digital illustration. What happens if I create a vector in Affinity Designer but then colour it in with Raster brushes or sketch/colour it in Raster and add vector elements? If only the vector parts can enlarge to any size, does this mean all raster brushes will display blurry when enlarged?

For example, my friend wants a bottle label illustration - but she might use the label in the future for something bigger like a marquee banner for her market stall - how do I ensure that an illustration using raster brushes always displays pixel perfect? Do I just have to accept that some designs will not be able to be reused for bigger size projects?

You are correct. There will be a limit to how large the raster aspects can get before starting to look pixilated / blurry.

In practice larger things are often viewed from further away - a wine bottle is held in the hand and viewed close up, but a banner might be seen from 10m away - so you often don't need the same clarity in both images.

Perhaps work at a higher DPI than usual so that you are actually sizing down for the smaller items?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro