You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient fill color has no effect; should be disabled?

Hi. I often encounter situations in Designer where a control or setting does nothing, despite being enabled. Here's one example: I had an object selected, and went into the Gradient Fill panel. I picked a color in the color well; and although the fill color changed slightly, it was not the color I picked, and subsequent picks had no effect.

On the gradient tab, your Opacity is set to 0%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Try selecting one of the end nodes first

Your MAC version  may work slightly different to my Windows version

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @Stokestack, This is working as expected. When you first select the gradient neither node is selected, it is normal for the opacity to show 0% at this stage because you have not selected a node to apply the colour to. When you click either the left or right node opacity will be 100% and any colour you select will be applied to that node. The software doesn't know which node you want to apply the colour to so nothing happens until you make your selection.

Edit: If you have some gradients already created in swatches you need to select the swatches tab rather than the gradient one, then select the relevant swatch, then select the relevant gradient, it will be applied to your selected shape.

820772971_ScreenShot2020-03-28at08_09_56.png.a140a486321c8c0caa09da111eeb5c57.png

39 minutes ago, Stokestack said:

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

But then... what was I changing when selecting the color in the color well?  Why is it enabled?

You are welcome, just glad it helped.

Sorry I have no idea why the colour well allows you to select a colour, perhaps it should be disabled until you have selected the node.

3 minutes ago, Murfee said:

perhaps it should be disabled until you have selected the node.

The left-hand node is automatically selected on Windows - maybe it's a bug on MACs, that is isn't

Just now, carl123 said:

The left-hand node is automatically selected on Windows - maybe it's a bug on MACs, that is isn't

Just did a bit of testing, you are right. If you go straight to the fill and gradient tab, neither node is selected. If you go to the Gradient tool and apply it then open the gradient tab the left node is selected.

I am just so used to this that I didn't even consider it might be a bug 😀