You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Import and embedded fonts

Hi,

I am an avid Photo user for graphs and technical figures (non-CAD) and frequently need to either extract content or edit directly PDFs, which usually works wonderfully. However one recurring issue that I have is when PDFs have embedded fonts and upon import, the affected text is distorted heavily.

This issue has been covered already in a lengthy and old thread here: Import PDF with embedded fonts. However this thread is now quite old and verged into the topic of font licensing and rights. To the best of my knowledge, this wasn't the core of the issue. We were told embedded font support would be added at some point. Is there an update on this feature? Is it still planned?

I have to go to lenghty workarounds when I really need the source PDF edited (and keep its vector content), involving getting it out as an EPS and then back into Affinity Photo (which sometimes fails too).

The issue has been covered many times in several different threads: Affinity should really add something about this to the FAQs. 

The Affinity suite is still unable to render imported PDFs accurately: Photo can't raster a PDF; Designer can't edit a PDF; Publisher can't place a PDF; -- and as AFAIK, no schedule has been announced.

Your best bet is to find a way of 'outlining' the fonts in the PDF: e.g. converting them all to vector graphic data, rather than font data. GhostScript is the best, free product for manipulating PDFs in this way.  Converting to EPS or SVG usually works, though still cannot be relied upon 100% without furious proofing.

A discussion about working around the problem is here:

Although this workaround exists, it adds another step and possible unforeseen consequences. This huge gaping flaw severely limits the extent to which I can use the Affinity Suite for production work. It is such a shame.