You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey can anyone help? I am trying to create an SVG for my daughter - I drew it out and when I export it as an SVG / PNG or Jpeg half the lines look correct and half look wrong attaching the photo to see if anyone can tell what I did OY

The first two are how they look in affinity - the third picture is after I have exported it and try to make it on my cricut 

any thoughts or ideas whatI am doing wrong?

massnurseUntitled.afdesign massnurseUntitled.svg IMG_5879.HEIC

• Staff

Hi Tlmanty,

Cricut Design Space is a funny thing... Firstly remember that your Cricut cuts outlines. So if you pass it a line, it will cut the line itself, not the thick stroked thing you're seeing on the screen, just the centreline. If you want to cut the stroked thing you're seeing on the screen, you need to select the object, choose Layer -> Expand Stroke. You'll now be left with an outline that looks like the thick line you could see on the screen.

Next, remember that the Cricut won't do anything magical with lighter areas covering darker ones - it cuts stuff, then cuts more stuff. If you want to have an area not cut out, you have to make sure your object was cut to the right shape in the first place. Basically, you need to expand stroke on all your lines, then subtract the white object from the black objects to make an outline which is actually the right input for the cutter :)

I don't know if that makes sense? :)

Matt

• Staff

I can't run Design Space at the moment as I can't remember my login (*sigh*) but I think this should get you the output you were after. Use the Node Tool to look at my file vs your original to see what I'm talking about... one is the curve path, the other is the expanded outline of that path - and it's that that you want the Cricut to cut! :)

massnurseEdited.afdesign

massnurseEdited.svg

Hi Matt

Appreciate the input. I know cricut cuts like that but I am confused as to why half my lines are thick and then have transfer so skinny when they are shown in Affinity as being the same size - Does it have to do with using a pen or pencil or being a curve - I was so excited when I was able to show her and then when I transferred it - ugh it looks like my last photo

I also want to be able to export as SVGs even to sell  - but that can happen if it downloads like this - frustrating as I have no clue why my first line worked and the second didn't

• Staff

The first line (unlike all the other lines) was input with the Vector Brush Tool and it has a style applied to it that means it will automatically get expanded to outlines on the way out of Designer - exactly like I said above, you need to do that to all your lines *manually* to make sure you get the output you want. You also need to make sure you don't occlude part of a path with another 'background' colour path, because it will just cut both things - use the geometry operations to actually remove those parts of the paths from within Designer itself. If you inspect my file you should hopefully see what I'm referring to? :)

MattP THANK YOU!

OK so - I am clueless for sure and totally appreciate the help - did you fix my svg?  If so AMAZING - still clueless as to what I did different. I did use the vector brush tool for the first part ( thought I did with the second) (Are you able to tell what I used for the second side if it wasn't the Vector Brush Tool?) 

I thought I used the vector brush for the whole thing - obviously not -  I am not sure what the heck I did LOL - I haven't learned how to remove parts of the picture by cutting them yet - I did just get my book and am taking a lesson on UDEMY - but to be truthful I am a hands on person and having trouble grasping things - probably my age LOL.  This forum is awesome  and again I appreciate your help (even if I am clueless)

Can I ask you one more question - how did you subtract the lines within the stethoscope  handles? I found how to subtract a shape from a shape - but can't find how to subtract from a vector paintbrush line. No problem if it is too much to explain - just thought I would ask in case it was something simple.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Which stage are you having problems with? Design Space needs an SVG and the file you give it is going to be the lines to cut - it has no idea what line weight is, it will just cut the lines in the SVG. So if you want something that looks like a thick line cut out, you need to select that line and expand it prior to SVG export. Give me some more information about the problem and I'll try to help...