You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestions for astro photography: default stack operator, black level shown, and divide mode

I am working with astro photos, converting the raw image to 16 bit TIFF images and stacking them.

I have a few suggestions for you that would make my work smoother. I would be very grateful if you would implemented them.

Suggestion 1:
Would it be possible to change the default stack operator, like in the settings? I commonly use mean value rather than median value, and always have to correct it.

Suggestion 2:
Using Levels Adjustment, I have noticed that it is indeed possible to use decimal values for Black Levels, for instance 1.5 %, although this is not documented. This is very useful when working with 16 bit images. However, the value shown will always be the rounded integer value, in this case 2, even when the decimal value is used. Would it be possible to show a decimal digit, at least for levels below 10% ? Like, it would show 1.5% as the decimal value 1.5% instead of the integer value 2%.

Suggestion 3:
When working with astro photos it is very common to first subtract the dark current image, and then divide with a flatfield image. Subtraction is easy to do using the Subtract mode, but how to perform division is not so easy to find. By googling I have found that division is indeed possible to do by adding the flatfield image layer, adding an Invert Adjustment layer to it, and then changing to Colour Dodge mode. Since this is a "hidden" feature, would it be possible for you to simply combine these two steps into one, and name it Divide mode? A good reason for this: Any serious astro photographer who fails to find this hidden feature when searching the current documentation, and mistakenly rejects the usefulness of Affinity Photo because of this, would be pleasantly surprised to find that the feature does exist.

P.S. I am currently using Affinity Photo 1.8.2 on a Mac.

Edited by StefanSweden
Changed Divide Adjustment layer to Divide mode