You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pavement artist composite

Kasper-V

To stave off the boredom, I'm working from home. even though I've been retired for nearly four years! I saw a post on Facebook the other day, which I'm pretty sure was 'photoshopped' as it looked too good and the 'artist' was kneeling on his artwork. It was well made, but of course, I thought 'I can do that!' and I have.
Credits: girl by Analise Benevides on Unsplash, pavement by Mabel Amber from Pixabay, Girl with pearl earring by Vermeer from Wikipedia, pastels from Google.

Girl-pave-1Small.jpg.5769f77d7fd0fb1ef661ec9076b3dbf1.jpg

Good fun -- I shall try another one in the near future.

For increased realism I think you need to ensure the chalk colour does not appear in the cracks and crevices between the paving slabs.

Perhaps Blend Ranges could help here?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I did reduce the intensity of the chalk in the gaps, Aammppaa -- I could see towards the end of the process it didn't look right. But the paving is in a public space, and as far as I can tell from the original the 'gaps' are actually filled with a dark cement or mastic and the surface is nearly flush with the tiles. In hindsight, it struck me a better course might have been to lighten them to make them less conspicuous. Still, it's all part of life's learning curve!

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

@Kasper-V or as chalk pastels are often blended by hand, powder residue in the cracks are likely.

. . . and if your wife works with them in the house, the dust gets everywhere as well.

She just loves them, but the finished product is about as permanent as the colors on a butterfly's wings it it gets touched. This picture was a smaller one done with pencils. About 6" wide by 5" tall.

The neat thing about doing them on the art paper she uses, it's like watching a very slow color printer. She has to start from the top and work to the bottom to keep from damaging what she has already done.

20111004_009.jpg

Lessons every parent leans when they buy the big box chalk sets and allow the children a go on their driveway.  Easy on, hard off.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

12 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

. . . and if your wife works with them in the house . . .

She's very good! I haven't used pastels for a good many years, but I used to find that, being dry, so long as you could put your stroke in the right place it was a much easier medium than wet painting.

Does your good lady use a mahl stick? It's a great way of keeping your sleeves out of your artwork.

3 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

She's very good! I haven't used pastels for a good many years, but I used to find that, being dry, so long as you could put your stroke in the right place it was a much easier medium than wet painting.

Does your good lady use a mahl stick? It's a great way of keeping your sleeves out of your artwork.

Thank you for the compliment. I'll make sure she knows that someone appreciates her work.

No, usually sleeveless. Guess they bother her when she's trying to do her art.

Funny thing was, she submitted one of her pastel portraits of a dog to a local art competition --- and the judges thought it was a photo placed it in the "Photography" section.

Ahhh… Memories. I really love Vermeer and this painting. Student, I did a copy with dry chalks on a piece of cardboard (there's a bit of Scotch at the bottom right and we can see where it folds) and on my drawing board (carton à dessin) with oils but I can't find this one, perhaps I gave it.  At the time, I didn't wanted to spoil expensive paper doing tests…

IMG_20200330_202809v4.thumb.jpg.22665da50ee78ec2307e8de006fcc3af.jpg

I'm not that bothered about total visual accuracy, but rather the overall effect of all composited components which create the picture.

I think you did an admirable job. 

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.