You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pictures too dark in develop persona preview

On 5/18/2020 at 4:24 AM, Chris B said:

A few things to check for those of you who haven't already:

1. Develop Assistant (tuxedo icon) - Set this to 16 bit
  2. Windows Colour Management - Advanced tab - Set Device Profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1
  3. Affinity Preferences - Colour - Again, make sure you are using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for the RGB Colour Profile and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (Linear) for the 32 bit RGB Profile
  4. Make sure you are using the 1.8.4 beta
  5. Finally, try the reset. Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo and rename 1.0 (Beta) to 1.1 (Beta) and launch the app and load your raw. Ideally, we want to be all testing the same raw if possible so I propose we use the one I've attached to this post which is the one in the bug report and the one development worked with. If this raw works and your own raws do not, we can get around to it.

I know some of you have tried the above but I'd like you to reply and confirm. Now you've done this, we should all be in a similar environment. 

KMS_0107.NEF 86.56 MB · 1 download

I confirmed all of these but no such luck with fixing the issue.

Annotation 2020-05-19 135253.jpg

- Nikon Z7 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D70s with Ikelite Housing | GoPro Hero5 Black -

I downloaded your image file to see if I get the same problem. Here's how it opens for me. It doesn't appear to be a problem.

ap641.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi! 

I have the same problem with some raw file using my version 1.8.3.641. Sample1 is what I see when i load the raw file in Develop persona , sample 2 is the result of the same picture in photo persona after develop.

I noticed that selecteing again Develop persona the picture doesn't change. I mean, the same color as sample 2.

sample 1.jpg

sample 2.jpg

35 minutes ago, Rob_G said:

Hi! 

I have the same problem with some raw file using my version 1.8.3.641. Sample1 is what I see when i load the raw file in Develop persona , sample 2 is the result of the same picture in photo persona after develop.

I noticed that selecteing again Develop persona the picture doesn't change. I mean, the same color as sample 2.

Hi and welcome to the Affinity forums!

When the raw file is opened into Develop Persona, the Persona is working in a 32 bits per channel (bpc) colour space, and the app is failing to correctly manage the display of 32 bpc on your system, which results in the dark appearance.

After clicking the Develop button and automatically entering Photo Persona with a 16 bpc image developed from raw, the app is working in a 16 bpc colour space, and the app correctly manages the display of 16 bpc on your system.

Then when you switch back to Develop Persona, the 16 bpc image, not the original raw file, is opened in the Persona and so the Persona works in a 16 bpc instead of 32 bpc colour space, and the app correctly manages the display of 16 bpc on your system.

• Staff

Thanks Sunshine1868, I have asked for this to be escalated to development.

Hi Rob, anon2 is correct here. However the reason you are seeing an unmanaged preview in the Develop Persona if a) you're using the 1.8.4 beta and b) you are not using a display profile that surpasses the capabilities of your display leaves me stumped. It sounds like both you and Sunshine1868 are suffering the same issue. 

I realise in your post you said you are using 1.8.3 so please try 1.8.4 as your feedback on the issue being resolved or not may be of utmost importance. 

@Rob_G what model computer are you using? I am curious why the issue is being fixed for some, but not others.
Is there anybody else here that is still experiencing the issue even after going through all of @Chris B's suggested steps?

Edited by Sunshine1868
edited wording for clarity

- Nikon Z7 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D70s with Ikelite Housing | GoPro Hero5 Black -

• Staff

Hey Sunshine1868,

I've just had a lengthy discussion with development and we've gone over all avenues we can think of currently. It seems this issue is more isolated to yourself as I keep saying the 1.8.4 beta fixed it for them.

What perplexes me, is you and I have a very similar setup with the Surface, connected to an external monitor (at times) and are running the 1.8.4 beta. We've checked display profiles in and outside the app.

Your preview looks exactly like an unmanaged preview which would make the document view appear dark and the navigator panel appear light (correct). Can you just do one last check of the 32 bit panel (bottom right) and make sure you aren't set to unmanaged? The reset should have brought you out of the unmanaged mode but I wonder if for some reason the appdata reset isn't correctly targeting the bits we need it to.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

For what it's worth, selecting "unmanaged" and going back and forth does nothing to the appearance of the image

That's interesting and possibly a clue. I'll feed this back. Again, thanks for being so patient. I imagine this is really frustrating for you. 

Chromatic Aberration handling is very bad. I don't see any in Adobe Photoshop CC 2020 at all when looking at the fur of the dog, but in Photo I see a lot. Then I disabled Chromatic Aberration Reduction (I honestly believed it was disabled) and then the image appears much sharper... Not much of a difference in the Chromatic Aberration though. 😞

Chromatic Aberration Reduction = desharpen in Photo.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@Chris B Happy to help! Yes, it's a little frustrating 🙃

I've just noticed in the Devices tab under Windows Management, you seem to be missing the same display profile that I have on my Surface. I'm using an 'sRGB dispay profile' as well as the Enhanced and sRGB profile seen in your screenshot.

Can you try clicking Add underneath and see if you can find the profile attached in my screenshot (or another one such as sRGB IEC61966-2.1
IMG_20200521_091202.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality camera shot :P

• Staff
1 hour ago, Sunshine1868 said:

Good news! I added the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, set it as the default, and everything appears to work correctly!

I just scared my dog half to death after cheering so loud 😂

So it was staring at us right in the face for a few days. I could kick myself that I didn't notice that was missing. Luckily a colleague @Sean P spotted it after posting in the development chat we had going. I'm really pleased! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

this is my first posting in this forum. I created this account only because I also have the problem with dark RAWs and couldn't solve it with any of the suggestions made on the previous pages. I would be really glad if you find a solution also for me. Thanks in advance!

A short overview of my setup:

Camera: Olympus E-M10 Mk II (produces *.ORF-RAW-files)

Laptop: Dell XPS15 7590, Win10 Home, FullHD, i7 9th Gen, GTX1650 (tried numerous color profiles, neither of them helped)

Monitor: Viewsonic VP2768, using the factory hardware-calibrated sRGB-profile chosen in the monitors menu.

The problem occurs both on the laptop screen as well as on the Viewsonic. But: opening the same file in Olympus Workspace or XnViewMP gives a brighter, correct image. I opened the file simultaniously with these four programs on the Viewsonic and made a screenshot (top left: AP release 1.8.3.641; top right: XnView MP; bottom left: AP beta 1.8.4.650; bottom right: Olympus Workspace). The brightness differences do not seem to be huge in this example, but in other shots (that I am not willing to share here), the differences are more obvious.AP_darkRAW_Collage.thumb.PNG.54ec48f9b0f06987fbb4f8bb40b052ad.PNG

For your tests, I attached the ORF-file that I used.

I tried nearly everything that was mentioned before in this thread. Two exceptions: I didn't try AP 1.6.x and I couldn't try the NEF-file with the dog, because AP tells my that it does not support that file format (strange...?).

I also tried CR2-files from an EOS1000D and RW2-files from a Panasonic LX7 and both looked absolutely fine. So maybe it has something to do with the ORF-format?

I hope I could give you an overview and a foundation for some advice. I spent the whole afternoon on reading this thread and trying all the things and now I am quite disappointed that nothing worked.

Thanks to all of you,

Alex

AP_testshot.ORF

4 hours ago, azeee said:

For your tests, I attached the ORF-file that I used.

Hi and welcome to the Affinity forums.

Your problem isn't the display management bug.

All you are needing to do is give an exposure boost of about 0.8 EV in the Basic tab of Develop Persona, then your image will look extremely close to how it is in the other apps. Some subtle tweaking with Curves in the Tones tab, or later in the Photo Persona, can bring it even closer.

• 3 years later...