You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pictures too dark in develop persona preview

Hello,

I recently updated to your version1.8.2.620 for windows (German language). Today I uploaded photos from my Sony Alpha 77 II but pictures were much too dark in the preview of the develop persona. Another software tool I am using in parallel (photo mechanics) did not come up with the same issue.

Do you have a solution on my problem please?

BR

Martin

I also have the same issue. The Studio preview (bottom right) looks normal, but the main workspace is waaay too dark!

(NEF RAW files from Nikon Z7)231429991_APRawIssue.thumb.jpg.d022ce973bae14d2199bbe405e4a6c98.jpg

Edited by Sunshine1868
Added screenshot of example

- Nikon Z7 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D70s with Ikelite Housing | GoPro Hero5 Black -

• Staff

Hey @Martin Liam and @Sunshine1868,

We currently have an open bug logged with the developers when some raw files open darker than they should. To check that you are seeing the same issue, can you please do the following:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Type in %appdata%
  3. Go to Affinity\Photo and look for the 1.0 folder or if you're using the beta the 1.0 (Beta) folder and rename it to 1.1 or 1.1 (Beta)
  4. Restart the app
  5. Check to see if the raw still opens dark

• Staff

It definitely looks like you're seeing an unmanaged preview. If you backed up that folder from the advice I gave you earlier, try this:

1. Close the app
  2. Hold Ctrl on your keyboard
  3. Launch the app (keeping hold of Ctrl)
  4. You will see a menu appear, click Clear

This will reset the app back to defaults. Note that it will reset your workspace to defaults but might fix this issue.

Hi, I had same issue, RAW from Nikon NEF files...

1992179429_ToAffinity2a.thumb.jpg.d547ba21c9517dab47b569e5c2395498.jpg

... was not a big one cause was enough to move the window and it returned to read properly as original RAW file is (on the right).

After I had one similar issue but of a different nature, this time not reading proper color as you can see here is more faded and less clarity:

410194046_ToAffinity.thumb.jpg.d882b3fcd7d61f7f1e25be1aacd8b667.jpg

Fortunately I've find this same issue and thanks to "Cris B" suggestion all it seems to be working now.

thank you

Edited by ALe5

On 4/1/2020 at 4:39 AM, Chris B said:

It definitely looks like you're seeing an unmanaged preview. If you backed up that folder from the advice I gave you earlier, try this:

1. Close the app
  2. Hold Ctrl on your keyboard
  3. Launch the app (keeping hold of Ctrl)
  4. You will see a menu appear, click Clear

This will reset the app back to defaults. Note that it will reset your workspace to defaults but might fix this issue.

Just attempted this - same issue persists.

- Nikon Z7 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D70s with Ikelite Housing | GoPro Hero5 Black -

Hi, I have to get beck to you cause the issue persist although I follow the above advice but it won't longer work. Is a very annoying problem. All the RAW NEF files are opened darker than the shots really are...

Fritz,

How do you mean different? What I'm seeing coincides with the image being under exposed. Looking at your camera settings, using a high ISO of 6400 and a slow shutter speed 1/20 sec, confirms that the image was shot in very low light.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Ron P. It was shot in low light, but its a Z7 that's more than capable of having a correct exposure at those settings in that scene - I should know, I took the photo!
See my screenshot above - the preview is perfectly fine exposure-wise, but the workspace is quite dark

@Ron P.

I downloaded the .NEF - File provided by @Sunshine1868

On his/her screenshot the small preview in the "Navigator" is fine, the main-view  (?) is far too dark.
His/her histogram looks like this:
image.png.a33b3a0f474633a2c23def3600c68be0.png

On my Computer the file is shown properly but compare the histograms!
(same RAW-File, no changes, no automatic whatever..)
image.png.b765287c76420cfb4466c2275598326b.png

1.) the histograms and the figures below the histos are completely different - why?  If judged only by the histogram my display should be too dark - but it isn´t.
2.) my histogram is far less spread.

??
perhaps because my RBG-Profile-Settings are both ROMM RGB ?

image.png.9f8c54e00b7fe120bd02c28d891dcf54.png

kind regards
Fritz

• Staff

@Fritz_H - ROMM RGB is a wide gamut profile. Do you have a wide gamut capable monitor? If not, I'd recommend switching back to sRGB. Your Histogram will likely look correct then.

@ALe5 - Have you checked your 32 bit panel to make sure you aren't set to Unmangaged? Did you resetting the app as mentioned in my first post. Please attach one of your images so we can try and replicate this. It might be the environment or an actual improvement that needs to be made.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

@Fritz_H - ROMM RGB is a wide gamut profile. Do you have a wide gamut capable monitor? If not, I'd recommend switching back to sRGB. Your Histogram will likely look correct then.

@ALe5 - Have you checked your 32 bit panel to make sure you aren't set to Unmangaged? Did you resetting the app as mentioned in my first post. Please attach one of your images so we can try and replicate this. It might be the environment or an actual improvement that needs to be made.

Hi Chris,

yes I've done all the above, but not just... Disinstalled and reinstalled with no avail.
I respond to all of your Q.
Histogram has nothing to do with, is just the consequences of the way the program opens RAW (NEF) data files. Raw file are wrongly readed by A.Photo my other Nikon program is correct as you can see in already  two posted pics.
Yes I do have a wide gamut monitor and its settings are adjusted to view such wonderful "widerness" of course but still... what that has to do with? Nikon software is reading well and opens NEF file as it should be from 2009 and still do it same correct way.

Panel 32bit is set to as in screenshot

Yes I did reset as you've advised.

thank you

aff issue 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

But that image looks unmanaged which is controlled by the 32 bit Panel, seen below:32 bit panel.jpg

We could really do with a sample too. 

As I open the file the panel disappear... anyway I had to set the English language to understand ... If I select unmanaged it becomes even more dark.. selecting the 32 bit preview it won't show it right anyway I have to adjust it? Seems to empirical to do that.