You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Affinity Photo developing without pressing the "develop" button

The App develops my photo without warning and without me touching anything.
The issue occurs in the middle of edits and the screen blinks and develops my photo prematurely when I'm not touching anything on the screen.

Device: iPad Pro 2018 12.9 inch 1TB
File: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 RAW file .RAF

Video: https://youtu.be/OlfIgFUOSTc

It's not a great video as I haven't used Affinity Photo in many months because of this problem, but the issue happens consistently, ie. every single time I edit a RAW file.
To just watch the issue, please watch: 2:52 and 12:16.

• Staff

Hey Isaac Medina,

I have never had this happen before nor have I seen it reported, but it does indeed look as though it is developing by itself. 

When it first happens, it looks as though you are dragging a slider and then it loses focus and the image is developed. 

Does it seem to happen after a while in the Develop Persona or can it sometimes happen after a short time?

It can happen while I'm touching something, or not touching anything at all.
So yes, to answer your question, it can happen whilst not touching anything, but I am touching the Apple Pencil!? Could this be vital information?

Yes, I am always staying put in the Develop Persona and never shifting around to other personas.

• Staff

You aren't accidentally catching the develop with your palm are you? 

Can you try enabling 'Show touches' from Preferences and record yourself again and watch what touches might be appearing around the screen. Also, do you have 'Touch for Gestures' enabled in Preferences? That might stop some unwanted touches (if that is indeed what is happening here).

I am having troubles finding the "show touches" in the preferences.
After some googling, I came to the conclusion that it may be in assistive touch, but I still can't find anything.

My hands are not touching the screen at all, but it may have something to do with the Apple Pencil as I got the problem to stop (once) when not using the pencil.
I will keep experimenting with this.

Where can I find "Show touches" on the iPad?

Chris, thank you so much for your persistence.
I originally thought you were talking about the Settings on the iPad and not within Affinity Photo, which is why it took some time for me to find it.
I confirmed that unforced touches were not an issue. The problem was the Apple Pencil and me putting the Pencil back on top of the iPad momentarily was registering as a double tap.
So that option has now been disabled.
I can't believe I put up with this problem for such a long time.

And I am by no means a novice, but I thought that my Apple Pencil preferences set in the Settings on the iPad would affect all Apps (unless overridden).
I had double-tap registered to "do nothing" in the iPad OS Settings.
I should have checked.
Again, thank you.

• 1 month later...

I have had this happen several times, too.

i have a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9, the latest iPad pencil, and the latest Affinity Photo.

it always happens when I am in the Raw persona and am in the middle of applying a brush mask to a layer. I apply the mask, go to the Basic Studio and adjust the lighting of the masked area, sit back and look at the results, and then when I move the pencil tip toward the photo again to modify the mask, in the blink of an eye it Develops. Usually before I’ve even touched the screen with the pencil tip.

This doesn’t happen every time but a half dozen or so times in 5-6 photos. Starting over again is a real pain.

if you would add the ability to save intermediate results in the Develop persona, we would at least have a workaround for bugs like this one, but every time it happens I have to redo the entirety of the Raw changes I’ve made.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have had the same issue for almost a year now. Each time when I open a raw file made with my sony a6300, after about one minute it develops the image without me touching anything. I am also using the last apple pencil and the 2018 ipad pro 12.9. Moreover, I had issues with affinity photo in the past month regarding the undo function. It seems like many times after I finish refining a selection, some undo process happens by itself, again without any touch on the screen from my side. It is hard to reproduce this bug because it doesn’t occur all the time, but it seemed to affect panoramic stitches the most in my case. 

Edit: just realized that all fo that happens because of the double tap on the pencil.  While the undo was an assigned function in the pencil preferences, the automatic developing of the raw images still seems to be a bug. After disabling the double tap in the preferences, there is no more random developing happening. 

Edited by Himodaca

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks to you all. I hope this solved also my puzzeling problem of the unintended development and switch to the photo persona (on the ipad pro 12.9 2018). This still happens in the latest version of Affinity Photo. 

I have found an option in the settings to disable the use of the double tap for "undo" (in fact "develop"). I haven't found an option to choose other functions for the double tap in AP. Is this correct?