You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to or tips on creating concentric circles of shapes?

Can anybody tell me any tricks or tips on how to make concentric circles of a shape? (actually its a curve not a shape). Basically I want expanding rings but I don't want to change the size of the shape. I tried using power duplicate but I'm finding it impossible to get the exact rotation degree needed to match up.

Thanks in advance!post-15227-0-49560400-1437479207_thumb.pngpost-15227-0-61258000-1437479206_thumb.png

Butrflied, I tried using the dashed line.   But it's hard to get the dots to line up.  If that isn't critical, you want to try using a 0.05 in the first field will give a round dot.  Then using a decimal like 1.8 in the second field.  The phase can help try to get them to line up.

I also tried creating a vector brush, but found the dots didn't maintain being round.

Sorry.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

This gives me headache, I've tried the best I can.. I too get wonky results :wacko: I'm thinking "bug" cause no matter what I try Designer distorts the shape, no matter if it's a shape, or a stroke.

I really don't hope this is by design.

Hey guys,

I tried the dashed line technique as well, but I could not overcome the problems. Better dashed line support was already requested here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6973-dashed-line-update-post-12/

But here’s another idea. Go for the Text on a Path option:

• Create a circle.
  • Use the Artistic Text Tool to put text on the circle.
  • Select a font and type <Bullet Glyph> <Space> …, until you have the desired number of circles on your path. Then select Justified All, adjust the red wedges and the baseline offset. I used the bullet glyph of Arial in my example file, but be aware, that these glyphs are usually not perfect circles. For perfect results you may have to create a custom font of your own.
  • Copy the circle, scale it and remove unwanted glyphs.
  • Repeat and adjust.
  • When you’re done, you can convert your text to curves.

Not the perfect method, but the only one I can think of …  :)

Cheers,

Alex 

Bullets.afdesign

post-1198-0-50609900-1437505487_thumb.png

Thanks of your help everyone .. I think I'm going to have to do the math and try A_B_C's method.. my rings are a little more complicated then the dot example I posted .. but I'll let you know if I figure it out.

I attached the real image I'm trying to add extra rings to :)

post-15227-0-29531600-1437947184_thumb.png