hgokuh

When I open Affinity Photo all the text in Windows 10 disappears.

I just bought the software yesterday, and when I open the program, almost all the text disappears. Text showing programs, folders or files is gone, I just get icons, which means I can't open any photo or navigate. And it doesn't get fix until I restart Windows. I close Affinity and the text is still gone. Just a restart works. I deleted the font cache and nothing, same thing keeps happening. I use other graphic design programs and nothing like this has ever happened. What could be the problem? 

I know that is seems suspicious that it happens when you run Affinity, but I don't think there's any way that an application-level program like the Affinity ones can cause that.

I think you have a Windows problem, or a driver problem that's causing this, and there are reports in the Windows forums since at least 2015 of this happening.

Here's one, for example: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-folders-and-files-have-missing/f9394940-ad50-4966-bc18-2a20db14be0c?auth=1

Here's a Google search that will find a bunch more, unrelated to Affinity: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=windows+10+file+labels+disappear

They all have various suggestions for repair actions to take.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

I already did the windows fixes but is not the same case, my text is there all the time until I open Affinity, then is back after a restart. It may be a driver but I don't know which driver that Affinity uses can make this happen. 

If I had to guess (and it would be purely a guess) it would be your graphics driver, or OneDrive or GoogleDrive (or some other cloud drive like them).

Maybe someone from Serif, or another user, will have another idea. But you might also check the list of 3rd-party programs that have been known to cause problems when using Affinity. This FAQ entry covers both graphic drivers and 3rd-party software:

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

Hi Hgokuh,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you provide a screen recording of this issue?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply to I can be sure to respond ASAP.

31 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Hgokuh,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you provide a screen recording of this issue?

C

Of course, here it is. I show how everything is alright and what happens when I open Affinity. 

just talking just to myself:
I see someone taking a Screen-Recording with the Smartphone (instead of using e.g. OBS..)
But I also see "pro-Software" like Adobe-CC-Software (??)
I see a messy desktop
I see horror-Software like "realplayer" (anno 2020?) and an "ebay"-Icon, really?
I see some more icons I do not recognize.. perhaps for a good reason.

I think to myself: there are probably a 1000 reasons for issues on such a computer - don´t touch this...

Fritz

Ebay icon came with the computer, I have never clicked on it, it was easier to use the smartphone because after I open Affinity I have to do a restart so everything is OK again. So I'm using the phone to write here.