You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug with the gradient tool

ll15

Hi,

The gradient tool creates a black outline on shapes that are placed over a shape that has a gradient. See picture attached. The orange circle under the emoji has a gradient. A black outline appears under the red heart eyes. When I move the gradient, I can see the black outline moving around. The black outlines created by the bug are circled in green in picture 1. The outline disappeared in picture 2 when I lowered the gradient. 

Please note that the glitch only seems to affect shapes that have a shadow under them (hearts and pink patches) but not the white star and the mouth.

This is the latest version of affinity designer and I work on a macbook pro (catalina).

Thank you for your help,

Lauriane

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Edited by ll15

Hi Lauriane, welcome to Affinity forum.  The dark line looks like a piece of a shadow peeking out from under the heart.  Plus you mention "glitch only seems to affect shapes that have a shadow under them".  I don't see any other effect of a shadow.  Why do you have a shadow turned on for these parts?  Try shutting it off, does it go away?

If that's not it could you attach a copy of the .afdesign file so we could look at it?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Lauriane,

Your shapes use the 'Colour Burn' blend mode on the Shadows - depending on the base colours below this will modify what the shadow appears like. There is a very slight difference in the gradient colours between the two objects, and it is this difference that is enough to make the Colour Burn different.This isn't a bug - just the way colour burn works.

You would be better off using Multiply with a red colour to give the red shadow. See attached file (I've removed the other objects to simplify the file to see.

Glitch_Modified.afdesign

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I also have major problems with this gradient feature, and the coulor and fill tools also. It seems to be a real mess, this part, at least the UI.

I just get round and round in the menues and buttons and nothing happens as expected or happens at all. I don't understand the problem, but there must be bugs begind it.

I just can't see how I will be able to work with the programs and I just get frustrated as I need to get my job done. 

I just want to give this feedback.

Regards

Joakim