You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotate Canvas Tool for Affinity Photo

Hello!

Affinity Photo is awesome! I love it! I have downloaded it and works great!

It could be even better if you add a very useful tool for illustrators: Canvas Free Rotation.

Affinity Photo brushes are beautiful, and I love to use them in my artworks, but the software should be able to rotate the canvas arbitrary, as we rotate our sketchbooks while drawing. The brush experience will be flawless! 

I'm a Wacom user, and my Intuos has the "Canvas Rotation" tool. I know it works in Photoshop and Sketchbook, so I know Affinity can make it available for us in the coming update.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! I'm a new user of A-Photo. And as a graphic artist I've to say it has almost all I need so far. The "almost" is the lack of the rotating canvas function.

In my everyday work I use a Wacom cintiq companion Hybrid. And I've to say the touch function that let rotate the canvas in photoshop or painter is a must have to me. As is I can't think of drawing for long session with A-Photo without this feature.

• 2 months later...

HOLD ON A MINUTE!

Artboards with rounded corners?!

Not only that, an artboard made out of text?!?! A paragraph shaped artboard in itself isn't massively useful outside of edge cases, but does this mean you can make an artboard any shape? If so I might have to marry all of you. Every last Serif employee.

• Staff

Get prepared for one heck of a party then, Ash! ;)  Yes, Artboards can be made from any vector object, they can have properties (like background gradients, stroke styles) and you can manipulate their curves with the normal tools... so that means you can also make them from text... The idea is that they should be as flexible as possible, but you'll probably mainly want rectangles! ;)

GIVE IT TO ME, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, I NEED THIS NOW, I AM GOING CRAZY, I NEED ARTBOARDS, THIS IS AWESOME I CAN'T TAKE IT.

To the point: is this going beta soon? I guess Artboards are related to Affinity Publisher and Multipage Layouts of some sort? Amarite?

I am desperate... this is THE feature i want :D

Sry for my rant, back to business.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@MattP is there any setting / configuration file to disable this rotation of the canvas feature. Whenever I use the pinch to zoom gesture not carefully enough the canvas is rotated a bit.

I'm getting crazy since version 1.4 and reset rotation is now the menu I'm using most.

Thanks for any suggestion, even the one how to downgrade the version to the previous one.

• Staff

@MattP is there any setting / configuration file to disable this rotation of the canvas feature. Whenever I use the pinch to zoom gesture not carefully enough the canvas is rotated a bit.

I'm getting crazy since version 1.4 and reset rotation is now the menu I'm using most.

Thanks for any suggestion, even the one how to downgrade the version to the previous one.

Hi it-ony,

You'll find an option in Preferences -> Tools -> Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad.  Just turn this off and it will be back to only allowing pan and zoom :)

Thanks,

Matt

Heya Matt, I think I put this elsewhere originally, but you guys should really make a tool/interactive shortcut for those of us who are not using trackpads. I personally suffer from stupid fingers every time I try and use one, and it's such an inaccurate and clumsy input method for design work. I'm fairly sure the majority of pro's are either using a wacom or at least a mouse. It'd be a shame for this feature to not be as good as it could be for so many of your users.

So there is seriously no way to rotate the canvas if you don't have a trackpad? I have a desktop with no trackpad and I use a wacom tablet and a Logitech G13 as my input devices when working. I really need a keyboard shortcut that allows me to rotate the canvas like Photoshop or Krita. Any idea when this can get added?