You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Search Bar In Help Menu

Normally in a Mac program, you will have a search menu under Help. This helps find functions in the menu which might otherwise be unfamiliar to the operator. And just starting to use an app like this, pretty much all of the menu hierarchy is unfamiliar 😛 

1. Are you using the latest release version? Yes
  2. Can you reproduce it? Yes
  3. Does it happen for a new document? Yes
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (macOS Catalina)
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen): No search field under the menu heading Help. Both other apps have a search field, like all other Mac apps.
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). Open any existing or new document. Click on Help. No search field.
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. Added 🙂 
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. Nope.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) Not sure on this. I just bought and started using the suite last week.

Missing Help Search.png

Affinity Designer Help Search.png

Affinity Photo Help Search.png

It seems the app didn't launch properly. Did you try already a mac reboot since the app installation yet? If no, close the app, reboot the mac and reopen the app. If yes, would you mind to try resetting your APub (hold control-key while launching the app and in the following window select all options or at least the top 3).

1464514992_resetAPub.jpg.3a8ae589487aef58b4976047eb8a3c90.jpg

p.s.: the online help allows language switch, favorites and print – and it occasionally appears to be more complete or up to date (in particular for non-English versions)

https://affinity.help/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The search is supposed to be there. There was some earlier reports that it would disappear sometimes, but last I remember, no one has yet been able to give a recipe for manifesting the problem so that the developers can identify what to fix. Perhaps something you have said may provide the missing clue.

• 1 month later...

Is the "Search bar in the help menu" a feature of MAC's only, as I have all three Affinity apps 1.8.3.641 under Windows 10 1909 and none of them show this search bar?

I've seen this feature in several Affinity You Tube tutorials, and have wondered why I cant see it.

Thanks Terry

20 minutes ago, Shippa said:

Is the "Search bar in the help menu" a feature of MAC's only, as I have all three Affinity apps 1.8.3.641 under Windows 10 1909 and none of them show this search bar?

Yes, that's a Mac function. On Windows the Search bar is in the Help window once you've opened it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 years later...
31 minutes ago, DavidAlexanderFleming said:

I find it odd that Photo 2 and Publisher 2 have a search bar in the Help menu on Mac OS, but Designer 2 does not. 

What release of Designer 2, and what release of macOS?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1