You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

clipping path / Curves in JPGs [AG, AF, AP]

Apps like PhotoLine, PS, InDesign, GraphicConverter, … handle this. A must. And the Curves in PSDs? Ignored?

Not on the Common Feature Requests INDEX yet? It is not a problem to program. Give us hope, please.

• Staff

Can you please keep your threads in one place - it takes us time to read every thread, so repeating things is just making more work for us.  You've also added this under Bugs.  Please read there for my response.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Can you please keep your threads in one place - it takes us time to read every thread, so repeating things is just making more work for us.  You've also added this under Bugs.  Please read there for my response.

No, Ben, under Bugs, psd files are asked, here: jpgs.

We do not know both: Are that bugs or are clipping paths a missing feature for importing from jpgs (and psds)? Why does it work a long time in other apps like PhotoLine, but not in APh? What are the plans, please?

An answer would help to decide.

• Staff

No - your first line says, "And the Curves in PSDs? Ignored?"  Same as your post in bugs.  And you keep copying and pasting identical lines of text in multiple postings.  It makes following all your thoughts very difficult.  In this case I had to read the subject line of this post to understand what your bug post meant.

To be clear - we do not yet import/export clipping paths from JPEGs.  We do not import clipping paths from PSDs - they do not contribute to the image in Photoshop, which is what we replicate when we import.  Until we have a plan as to how we handle clipping paths that only affect exported images, then we will not handle them.  We have no way of creating them in Affinity as yet.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Sorry, we are four and Andrea did not told us, what she had already posted. So sorry, we will fix that. It is very often used for a long time in layout apps to knock out the background of a photo e.g. When we would need to change the file format (jpg), it would be a huge problem for all assets in databases.

You wrote “not yet”. Will the import (of those hidden) paths together with the pixel data be a feature in future?

• Staff

It means, we don't do it now, but as with all reasonable feature requests it will get added to the road map if the feature is required by enough people and it fits with how we do things in Affinity.  If added to the road map it will then get done based on priorities of all tasks in the road map, and other factors.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 years later...

It's really a pity that clipping paths are still not supported.

This is a very basic feature.

My plan was to switch to Affinity Photo, I bought it already last year, to support this great company.

Unfortunately I need to renew now my Photoshop / Indesign subscription again.

• Staff

Hi silvioch,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is already possible in Affinity Designer/Photo. When exporting to JPG click the More button and make sure Convert clips to paths is ticked. The clipping path will then appear in the Paths panel in Photoshop. To use a clipping path in Affinity Designer/Photo just drag a filled shape over the thumbnail of the image layer in the layers panel.