You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI hiding, toolbars

Alright, so this issue is somewhat similar to the one discussed before↓ but on Windows, so no separated mode. I’m running 1.8.620 on Windows 8 64–bit. The thing is that once you Tab away the UI, you can bring back the Character panel by hitting Ctrl+T (even though it’s not in the shortcuts).

The problem: AD can’t display a single panel – so it pops up all of them back. However, it leaves both upper toolbars and Tools panel off and the only way to get them back is by turning them manually one by one.

Regards,
Matt

It's actually not just Ctrl+T for the Character panel. By default there is also Ctrl+Alt+T which toggles the toolbar and Ctrl+Shift+H for Studio (all  open panels). Once you Tab away the UI you can bring back just the toolbar or just the panels, and then clicking Tab will only hide/show the element(s) you toggled just befor (There is no default shortcut for Tools, so you can bring back the toolbar and the panels but you need to go to View menu and use your mouse to show the Tools back again).  

Screen recording attached: First I clicked Tab to hide the UI, then Ctrl+Shift+H to show panels and the Tab again (only toggles the panels)

Recorded on Windows 10 64bit, Designer  1.8.620

2020-03-29_13-31-31.gif

FYI AD in separated mode on a mac does the exact same thing.  Tab works as it should until a cmd+T is pressed (while the UI is hidden).  From then on tab only switches the panels and character panel.  The toolbar, context toolbar and tools can only be turned on again using the View menu.  According to my preferences cmd+T should only toggle the character panel.

Removing cmd+T from the preferences stops the problem, and stops showing the character panel of course.  Switching the keys to cmd+K for turning on the Character panel moved the problem to cmd+K.

Shift+cmd+H in my system unhides layers and isn't causing any problems that I can see.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Ctrl+T is the default keyboard shortcut for Show Characer panel. At least, if I try to assign it to something it's flagged as a duplicate of "Show Character"

There's something I wonder about. Prior to 1.8 (or 1.8.2?) in the Miscellaneous section of the Keyboard Shortcuts there was a list of shortcuts to "Toggle <insert name> panel". Those now seem to be gone from the keyboard shortcuts list, but they still seem to be assigned even though I don't see them anywhere else in the Shortcuts list.

I have a vague memory of someone from Serif saying they didn't belong in Miscellaneous and would be moved, but it looks like the ability to see/set them was deleted, but the keys are still assigned?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There's something I wonder about. Prior to 1.8 (or 1.8.2?) in the Miscellaneous section of the Keyboard Shortcuts there was a list of shortcuts to "Toggle <insert name> panel". Those now seem to be gone from the keyboard shortcuts list, but they still seem to be assigned even though I don't see them anywhere else in the Shortcuts list.

Walt, in the 1.8 keyboard shortcuts there is now a View>Studio <insert name> which wasn't there in 1.7.  None of the default Toggle <insert name> panel keyboard shortcuts has any key stroke specified in my 1.7.3.  So I don't know about them still working in 1.8.

901120560_ScreenShot2020-03-29at9_21_33AM.png.e3df64b952b90b7a9e60af70d5685d7f.png571255760_ScreenShot2020-03-29at9_21_49AM.png.628cd1df71fe989497af2439b3e4bf0c.png

Likewise in View Studio <insert name> none of the entries has a default keystroke assigned in 1.8.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thanks, Gear Maker. I don't have a 1.7 version installed to look at.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1