You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ă—

OVERLAPPING SEGMENTS

Good evening everyone!!

I have a question. I think i would like to have what i am going to describe as possibile...

I am  drawing a shape with some bezier curves in affinity designer (great product btw 🙂 ) on the i pad. I take a segment of the shape, i copy it and i paste it. Now i have a shape and its segments (a) and a single segment (b) on different Layers. The new created segment (b) and the segment of the shape (a) are completely overlapping. Now, i would like to modify the segment (b) (with the curve handles) and by doing so modify at the same time the segment of the shape (a), so that, at the end of it, the segment of the shape (a) and the segment i copyed and pasted (b) are still perfectly overlapping.

I hope  i was clear enough... i Made a sketch and i attached it... hope you can see it 

Thx very much and have a good day

Best regards

Markus

Vuoto orizzontale.pages

• Staff

The only feature Designer has that is related to that is Symbols, see this video for more information. As once you create a new shape from another, it 's a new object that isn't linked to the original. The app does have boolean features that you can use to combine, add subtract shapes as well.

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, selenita said:

I have a simpler question: each curve segment is in a separate layer, I would like to merge these segments into a single layer to edit them in affinity photo.

One comment, for the future: It would perhaps have been better to post your own topic, as your question is not really related to this topic.

And a question: what kind of editing will you want to do? Photo is quite capable of working with vector paths already, whether they are in one layer or multiple layers. Knowing what you intend to do may guide us to suggest something more appropriate for that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

well, so sorry, I'll post as you suggest in the future, thanks. now I am making the outline of a very low quality image of Astroboy with the pen tool (Ipad), every time I stop and restart to continue drawing with the pen, a new "curves" layer is created with the segment , but I want to join these segments  in the same layer in order to change its attributes or make a single selection. I hope it is understood, i m a spanish speaker. thanks a lot. Gracias for the pdf’s files!

32 minutes ago, selenita said:

well, so sorry, I'll post as you suggest in the future, thanks. now I am making the outline of a very low quality image of Astroboy with the pen tool (Ipad), every time I stop and restart to continue drawing with the pen, a new "curves" layer is created, but I want to have these strokes in the same layer in order to change its attributes or make a single selection. I hope it is understood, i m a spanish speaker. thanks a lot.

Hi Selenita!

If you are drawing an outline in many steps - so that you get many layers - just select all layers of your outline, activate the Node Tool and click in the context bar of the Node Tool, in the category "Action", on "Join Curves" and you will get one layer. Then, to close the curve, click "Close Curve", also in the "Action" category.

The management of curve segments seems to be different from other vector graphic programs in Designer. But in fact it isn't much different. For example in Inkscape you can draw all segments on only one layer. But every segment is a separate object. The objects are managed by the "Object" panel in Inkscape. In Designer it is all managed in only one panel, the Layers Panel. But for a better overview you can click "Add Layer" before you draw the segments (the third button from the right at the bottom of the Layers Panel). Then all new segments will be added to this layer as child layers. For segments of another object click "Add Layer" again and you will get a new group for child layers of every new segment.

9 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Hi Selenita!

If you are drawing an outline in many steps - so that you get many layers - just select all layers of your outline, activate the Node Tool and click in the context bar of the Node Tool, in the category "Action", on "Join Curves" and you will get one layer. Then, to close the curve, click "Close Curve", also in the "Action" category.

On iPad you may not see a Join option available when selecting multiple layers. Instead you could use Edit menu/Merge Curves command to form a single layer.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

17 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Hi Selenita!

The management of curve segments seems to be different from other vector graphic programs in Designer. But in fact it isn't much different. For example in Inkscape you can draw all segments on only one layer. But every segment is a separate object. The objects are managed by the "Object" panel in Inkscape. In Designer it is all managed in only one panel, the Layers Panel. But for a better overview you can click "Add Layer" before you draw the segments (the third button from the right at the bottom of the Layers Panel). Then all new segments will be added to this layer as child layers. For segments of another object click "Add Layer" again and you will get a new group for child layers of every new segment.

Thank you, I’ll do as you suggest, I could’nt Join Curves, because the option remains inactive, so I’m sending a screen capture for you to see.

(I’m thinking I’m going to buy Designer) 

C12C5707-0592-4B1A-A7B0-B504DB30F737.jpeg

Ah, it seems that "Join Curves" is inactive because your curves are already closed. So you can merge the curve objects/layers by selecting them and click on "Add" in the "Geometry" section. But I don't know where you find it on iPad. I'm on Windows Desktop. Edit: You can see the "Geometry" settings on DM1' video. Thick that should help you find them.

But be aware that if you merge the layers, the curve objects will all have the same fill colour. If you don't want that, keep them on separate layers.