You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

InPaint or Clone Tool - I realized I want to remove something after making adjustments

Apologies.. looks like learning curve is taking me a bit longer... I realized, after adding those adjustments, that I want to remove that line on the left. Either InPainting tool or Clone, I'm not picky LOL

I can't seem to grasp how to do it. No matter which layer I select, I'm not getting the result. I'm sure the answer is obvious and I'm over-thinking.

Annotation 2020-03-26 112514.jpg

A few seconds with the Inpainting Brush Tool, the Blemish Removal Tool and the Blur Brush Tool gave me this. (I didn't go much further because of the orange line.) More careful work will yield better results. Try working with the Inpainting Brush Tool in small vertical strokes around the edges of what you want to remove, moving inwards if necessary. Then use the Blemish Removal Tool to ‘randomise’ the background a bit more. Then the Blur Brush Tool could help to smooth things over where necessary.
You will probably need to work on the layer where the ‘background line’ exists for any of the tools to work on it.
If the ‘background line’ exists because of interaction between layers then it may be more difficult to remove and you might have to start merging layers.

Annotation 2020-03-27 091441.png

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

You will probably need to work on the layer where the ‘background line’ exists for any of the tools to work on it.
If the ‘background line’ exists because of interaction between layers then it may be more difficult to remove and you might have to start merging layers.

Thanks GarryP. I was trying to InPaint and/or Clone on the background layer with no luck. If I turned OFF the 5 layers above the background layer, I could see the InPainting stroke and make corrections. Seems like no matter what I did, I couldn't get it removed because I'm not sure which layer (or how) to work with.

You’re welcome.
The Inpainting Brush Tool usually only works on the Current Layer, which is the one selected, but there’s an option on the Context Toolbar to make it work with Current Layer and Below. I’ve never used it in this ‘mode’ so I don’t know how it works but I guess you could use it to inpaint non-destructively on an empty pixel layer above all the others. I think there’s an official video tutorial that uses it this way.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You’re welcome.
The Inpainting Brush Tool usually only works on the Current Layer, which is the one selected, but there’s an option on the Context Toolbar to make it work with Current Layer and Below. I’ve never used it in this ‘mode’ so I don’t know how it works but I guess you could use it to inpaint non-destructively on an empty pixel layer above all the others. I think there’s an official video tutorial that uses it this way.

Super! That may have been the step I was missing (Current Layer and Below). I appreciate your help GarryP!