You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A friendly reminder that we're still missing R click menu options in the Layers panel

This is a pretty old request that I have been asking for nearly 3 years now. I also reported it way back last year during the 1.7 Beta. Only a couple of them have been addressed and those were features that got added in 1.7, like rasterize & trim.

So yeah, we're still missing merge selected and create new fill layer. I know that the devs have many issues to address, but when such a simple change that improves workflow so much gets unaddressed for nearly 3 years, I would again ask the devs to take a look at this.

I never understood why merge selected is missing.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Jowday Me neither. When I first started using it I found it a bit jarring that Affinity had all these great features already in place, but of some reason they were stuck in really awkward places despite having the infrastructure to support a more efficient workflow. The devs have become better at fixing little UX problems with 1.7 and 1.8, but there is still a bunch of room for improvement.

I hope Serif will do a thorough review of all their tools in the toolbar for Photo at some point as well, since I can think of more than a few tools that could really need some extra polish to make them pretty much perfect for any project. Most of the stuff I can think of they already have implemented in some form in the software, they just need to deal with some of those little UX annoyances that break workflow. For example, the Brush tool colour picker and the actual Colour Picker tool are two separate tools in Affinity, with the alt version not being possible to edit. The Colour Picker tool actually has some really good features like Current Layer colour picking and Radius, but because the Brush tool doesn't use the settings of the other tool, we're stuck with the baseline version when working for the most part. Not very practical to switch to the Colour Picker tool every time you want to sample from your painting or image.

I'm thinking of writing a more thorough review of Affinity Photo's tool set at some point that I hope the devs read and consider. It would make Affinity feel so much better. : )

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.